Repurposing Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaBearJay

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been in awe since I joined and this forum has got my creative juices flowing. (Well some liquids anyways!). My question to the other DIYer's out there, being that some of like to stay on a limited budget, would it be possible to repurpose a burner from a backyard grill as a heating element for any kind of tiered system?

I'm sure SWMBO would enjoy once summer comes for my hobby to exit the house, so if I can convince her of a few other things in the process, might as well save myself money and the headache.

If the answer is yes, can anyone give me a headstart in the right direction as to how I might go about it?

I am a regular craiglist hunter and there are frequently things I feel could be repurposed if the right mind is given time.

Thanks in advance!

-Josh

Since you're dealing with gas and high BTUs, I don't think this is a good place to save. Plus, grills typically aren't high enough heat to brew with. Look for turkey fryer burners on sale, use homebrewfinds.com.

Turkey burners are the way to go...the burner from a gas grill won't be shaped properly...
The side burner from those grills that have such a thing (for heating up a pot) is a better choice, but generally those burners aren't real powerful (I know the one on my old grill wasn't!)

So I've been checking around different manufacturers site and it seems that the burners will range anywhere from 25k to 65k BTUs depending on the series and model. The side burners coming in around 7k to 13k.

On the low end of turkey burner what am I generally looking at?

Back