Repurpose Commercial Cooler with Window Unit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaB1

Reaction score
I see these nice looking commercial coolers with bad compressors for sale all the time. From what I can find they just aren't worth repairing, hence why they are always for sale.

I've looked and looked but didn't turn up anything, I was curious if anyone has cut an opening for a small window unit in one of these and used it for a fermenting chamber?

I had a 3 door unit that would have cost me $1100 to replace the cooling assembly and I gave it away. It was my intention to install a 5000btu ac in the end of it but in the end I was running out of space and never got to it. I know it would work. You'll want to run a container of damp-rid in there because the refrigeration will not run long enough to dehumidify.

I used a handed down 5000btu window unit for my fermentation box for over 10 years. Need to spray with soap & bleach solution occasionally on evaporator to prevent mold.
Ed B

Latest posts

Back