Repitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long has it been since you pitched? At what temperature did you pitch? Dry or liquid? Starter? What makes you think it's not working? Did you read the first sticky in this forum?

(I think the answer to your question is "yes," you should aerate again before pitching, but let's figure out what's going on first.)

How long has it been since you pitched? At what temperature did you pitch? Dry or liquid? Starter? What makes you think it's not working? Did you read the first sticky in this forum?

(I think the answer to your question is "yes," you should aerate again before pitching, but let's figure out what's going on first.)

Has been 55 hours since I pitched at 65 degrees with wyeast greenbelt and no starter. I've brewed about two dozen or so times (so not a noob but not a vet either) and this is the first time I've seen no visual evidence of fermentation. Additionally the wyeast smack pack did not swell after three hours. Again not what I have gown accustomed to experience.

The 2 times I re-pitched I just dumped the new yeast and had no problems. If the wyeast pack didn't swell like you're used to then give it more time. Sometimes you'll get a pack that got too warm for too long. I learned from that once and had a pack take a couple days to swell.

The 2 times I re-pitched I just dumped the new yeast and had no problems.
Do you mean that by no problems that you didn't have to re airate? I'd rather not if I don't have to. I like to minimize chance of infection as much as possible.

Amazed that not one post referenced the need to TAKE A HYDROMETER READING! This is the only way you will know if anything is going on so do it. If there is a change from the OG, regardless of how small it is fermenting and there is no need to do anything.

If there is no change then yes, you should re-pitch and yes you should re-aerate. In the future, for all liquid yeast you should be making a starter for this exact reason as well as your beer being better for it:) Had y ou made a starter this post would not have been needed and you would not be 55 hours into a beer wondering what the hell is going on.

BTW, as a caution to others, this is not the first post referencing this special edition yeast not swelling or taking off as expected, just my .02..............

Wow, I feel like I am being scolded. FWIW I do know to take a hydrometer reading. Thanks. My question though was about re airating before repitching - jeez!
Since I've never had a problem with fermenting taking off I haven't had the need to use starters - so I don't use them. Your last comment about greenbelt however was useful - Thanks

slogger said:
Wow, I feel like I am being scolded. FWIW I do know to take a hydrometer reading. Thanks. My question though was about re airating before repitching - jeez!
Since I've never had a problem with fermenting taking off I haven't had the need to use starters - so I don't use them. Your last comment about greenbelt however was useful - Thanks

Sorry, didn't mean to scold you, you rated there was no visual evidence of fermentation but no where is there a mention of any verification by gravity:) sometimes visually things might not look like anything but then a reading is taken and there is a drop of a few points early on, hence my recommendation of taking a reading first.

Back