Repitching Yeast? Will this hurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anchorage42

Reaction score
So, I'll just state the obvious up front:
Relax and have a homebrew, just be patient, all the truisms. I'm asking this so I can potentially be prepared should I need to. :p:p

I did an Imperial IPA (OG 1.083) and pitched in WhiteLabs WLP001 as the yeast. The kicker is that I only used one tube and didn't make a starter because I didn't know to do so until AFTER I had started brewing.

Currently and it's been in the fermenter for 4 days and the blow-off tube is bubbling the solution in the catch solution; been bubbling since 12 hours since pitch if not sooner (I checked when I woke up and it was going).

It's still bubbling a little so I know it's going still (it's in a bucket, not a carboy).

What I'm wondering is, if when I check in a week, it's stalled out for three days above the target FG (1.018), should I re-pitch a whole 'nother vial of yeast WITH a starter or would that be overkill? Can I over shoot my FG?

Thanks guys :cross:

I am a rookie too but it seems to me that just giving it time should suffice. I would think the yeast would multiply to the point of getting the job done given any activity. You seem to have plenty of activity.

I've ehard that sometiems starters are overrated :p but I'm also a rookie brewer. If the fermentation is stuck at a higher FG than anticipaited, perhaps add more yeasties then, but I don't think there should be much of a problem anyways. I just warm my little yeasties right up minutes before I'm about to pitch them, and then drop them right into that sucker..

...or is that a starter? =/

This is a liquid yeast, if that makes any difference. The room temperature is about 70 degrees.

I THOUGHT that I read that liquid yeast are often good to go right from package into fermenter?

DISCLAIMER: I could be completely wrong and lying xP But I thought I did read that.

Yeah, I read some stuff that said that pitching it right in would be fine and others that said that because it was higher gravity, it might not be enough. I'm not worried about it, per se, I'd just like to know HYPOTHETICALLY if you can over pitch yeast and what to do should it be stalled after 2 weeks.

PS Where are you in Bostown?

You can't overpitch yeast, at least not with just one more starter, as far as I know. If it does appear to stall out before it hits your target FG, I would repitch with a yeast that's know to have a higher alcohol tolerance.

Starters are always a good idea because more yeast ferments wort faster. That cuts down on the time that bad microorganisms have to spread.

I'm no expert, but let's make an analogy, just cause I like to.

Your fermenter is a buffet, and your yeast are the hungry masses. You have enough to feed 200 people, at 25 people per hour. If 300 show up, what will happen. 200, 100?

You can't overpitch, because there's only so much food. The extras go away. If you underpitch, it'll take a long time to serve all of the food, and you'll probably end up cleaning up more of a mess. If you do it right, alot gets eaten right away, and the leftovers get finished over time.

In a nutshell, underpitching causes longer fermetation times, slightly higher finished gravities, and possible minor off flavors. Overpitching causes hungry yeast, with possible off flavors, probably less.

I'm sure my analogy will be fine tuned.

Ruppe,

That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure if I could ruin by pitching too much (or if I would have to pitch only half the vial, for example).

Thank you very much!

Your beer will be fine. You gotta trust the yeastie beasties, they know their job and have been doing it for millions of years. The first thing they will do when pitched into lovely fresh oxygen rich wort is throw a big yeast orgy. Fermentation will start as the cell count grows it will really take off. The fact that your beer is happily bubbling away means there are plenty to do the job. That does NOT mean that if some future brew doesn't show signs like bubbling that the yeast are not working...but I digress!

You CAN overpitch, but it is highly unlikely that you will do so as most homebrewers underpitch. Underpitching can produce off plavors as the yeast take a long time to get to adequate levels and get stressed. Don't worry about all the things that MIGHT happen but most likely WON'T happen. The yeast will chew through as much sweet wort as they are capable of. Unless it is a really high ABV brew, the alcohol will not be a problem. Most of the time pitching more yeast after fermentation has ended and you have a stable hydrometer reading for 3 days will do nothing--the composition of the wort has changed considerably. Level of attenuation is more about the amount of fermentable sugars in the wort. There will be some that are not fermentable (like dextrins) and this is why your readings don't go to 1.000. They provide body and mouthfeel to the beer.

Aerate your wort prior to pitching as oxygen is necessary for reproduction.

Pitch plenty of yeast--making a starter with liquid yeast is always advisable but not absolutely necessary--it will just take longer and some off flavors can happen

Give your brews plenty of time, the yeast have cleaning up to do (like reducing diacetyl) after the obvious fermentation is over. 2-3 weeks minimum in the primary, 3-4 weeks or longer is better. Your beer will just get better the more patient you can be.

Welcome to your new obsession!!!

Sorry for the book, but there was a lot of misinformation floating around on this thread :D

RDWHAHB :mug:

I stand corrected, theoretically you could overpitch, but it's highly unlikely. It would take way too much effort, or $'s.

Either way, I understood the same underlying message from both of you. I appreciate your help.

TANSTAAFB, my first beer sat for 4 weeks so patience isn't an issue. This was more for education than worry. With so much information, it's hard to know what to read and learn about sometimes until a specific question pops up.

Thanks

Back