Repitching in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
I have a seriously disappointing ESB...been sitting in the room temperature keg a while and it just won’t go any further. I said screw it and tapped it. Very sweet, no alcohol taste and FG is still too high. I used Muntons and I’m learning to hate that crap...

I’m thinking to pull the keg and pitch some US-05 to try to dry it out and make it more drinkable. I know there is unfinished sugar cause I can taste plenty. Should I dry pitch or make a little starter?

Or just suck it up and drink kiddie beer?

What was the OG and the FG now? Do you know why it didn't finish - i.e. did you accidentally mash really high (in which case more yeast likely won't help) or do you think your original yeast was just crap? If i was going to try to restart something I'd probably pitch a starter at high krausen.

My notes are at home but I think It was adout 1.056 and I’m stuck at 1.028. The yeast was purchased a year ago but kept in the fridge. Mashed at 152. I’m finding out that Muntons is just a poor to average atteuator i think.

Ok. OG 1.050. Stuck at 1.024. Missed the target OG of 1.056 or my gravity measuring sucks

Have a starter of US05 going now
9B248FF6-E867-4171-B238-E10345E93F8C.JPG
. Should I pitch at high krausen or let it finish, settle and decant the liquid first?

High krausen for sure. You want some healthy, active yeast to be able to pick things up in an already hostile (acidic and alcoholic) environment.

Back