repitching advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kranak

Reaction score
I brewed an Old Rasputin Clone a few weeks ago. Recipe as stated

15.25 Pale Ale Malt
1 Crystal 40L
1 Crystal 120L
.5 Chocolate
.5 Brown
.25 Roasted Barley

Mashed at about 152. Thermometer was calibrated before this brew day.

Boiled for about 2.5 hours and 2lbs of extra light DME to reach OG.
Slight mistake as an after thought, I am getting used to a new false bottom and different mash tun. And this is the largest beer I have attempted.

OG was 23 brix(approx 1.092 to 1.096) depending on conversion used.
FG at this time is 13(approx 1.026 to 1.028) has been at this number for a week plus a few days.

I this board opinion is the beer done, I have raised the temp to high 60's to 70 this last week and gave it a gentile turn or two. I have extra yeast. Should I repitch to try to get closer to the 1.022 listed on the recipe or leave it be. Also when repitching do you normally wake the yeast with a small starter or just pitch what you have?

OG was 23 brix(approx 1.092 to 1.096) depending on conversion used.
FG at this time is 13(approx 1.026 to 1.028) has been at this number for a week plus a few days.

Run and check the FG with a hydrometer. Trust me on this.

Then let us know what the actual hydrometer reading is, and we can further advise.

Agreed with Yooper. I love my refractometer during brewing operations, however once I pitch it's back to the hydro. You're going to have this beer age for quite a while anyway I am assuming for it to fully develop, so what's a few extra days until you can get a hydrometer.

I will definitely order I one. but I combine purchase and won't be making one for about a month. I don't want my grains to sit for too long before my next bucket and fermenter is available. I have a lager in the fridge and the stout taking a bucket. Both of which will be in there for a while now. Is there a negative possibility to depicting just in case? Also my second part of the first question. Do you build up the yeast, what rate is pitched? At worst case Ivan take a hydro reading in a month or so when I do make an order. Any negative to waiting that long to repitch?

I will definitely order I one. but I combine purchase and won't be making one for about a month. I don't want my grains to sit for too long before my next bucket and fermenter is available. I have a lager in the fridge and the stout taking a bucket. Both of which will be in there for a while now. Is there a negative possibility to depicting just in case? Also my second part of the first question. Do you build up the yeast, what rate is pitched? At worst case Ivan take a hydro reading in a month or so when I do make an order. Any negative to waiting that long to repitch?

You don't need to repitch, and the refractometer reading is useless once alcohol is in the mix. The beer is probably more like 1.020-1.024 but there is no way to tell without a hydrometer reading.

Back