Repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLBinID

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago we brewed a Porter (which is tasty). We used WYEAST 1338, which I now see is a slow, slow yeast.

Tonight we went ahead and moved it to a secondary without checking the gravity first. (I know, I know. Lesson learned.) After we got half way through putting it in secondary I decided to get a hydrometer reading. We were at 1.030 from 1.052. Yuck!

So we stopped straining it and just dumped the rest into the secondary. Is there a chance we'll still have enough yeast to continue fermenting? Would it be safe to pitch some safale us-05? I know it's not a good idea to pitch another yeast, but being that safale 05 is so neutral I thought it might be okay.

Any thoughts? I figure I'll give it a couple days and see if we get any airlock activity. Then decide what to do based on any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

I think you'll be fine. The yeast will keep fermenting. Go ahead and leave it alone now until it's finished completely and clears up. Might take a while but the extra time in the yeast will clean it up.

Back