Repitch yeast before racking Eisbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carter1932

#burp
Reaction score
I decided to delve into 'eis' beers. I had a dubbel that finished a bit drier than I wanted, so decided to use it for experimental purposes and iced 1 1/4 gallon of it.

I put the beer in deep freeze overnight and it almost froze solid. The next morning I let it thaw back out in the fridge while I was at work. I ended up removing approx. 20% of the ice crystals and have about 140 oz remaining to which I added my 1 C of water w/ priming sugar.

So my question is, should I repitch a yeast like nottingham before I rack to bottle. I presume this would probably be advisable as I expect most yeast have now fallen out of solution since it was frozen.

If I use dry yeast how much should I use for just over one gallon of ale.

You probably didn't cause the yeast to fall out of solution with freezing, you probably killed them all! Same difference...you'll need to re-pitch.

The issue now is getting the yeast to carbonate with the higher alcohol content of the eisbeer. Do you know the new ABV?

Also, what does a belgian taste like that has been concentrated by freezing? Are all of those Belgian-beer flavors also concentrated?

I'm estimating that the ABV should remain under 8.5%.

Haven't a clue how this will taste, but I'll post later to let you know.

Back