removing the airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZ2U

Reaction score
I am fermenting an attempt at one of Redhooks beers right now and I was reading this on their site…

Step 3: Fermentation
Once the brew leaves the brewhouse, it is cooled down to the desired fermentation temperature by the wort cooler and is injected with sterile air and the all-important Redhook ale yeast. The air is necessary to stimulate initial yeast growth and fermentation vigor. During fermentation, a tightly controlled temperature of 68° F is maintained as the yeast ferments simple malt-based sugars to produce ethyl alcohol, carbon dioxide, and flavor and aroma compounds. Partway during fermentation, the fermenter exhaust vent is closed, which pressurizes the tank and naturally carbonates the beer. After about 10 days, fermentation is complete and the temperature of the beer is lowered to about 30° F for five to 15 days. This cold conditioning period allows the beer flavor to mature.

Curious what thoughts are on the removal of the airlock and when? (pitched mid afternoon on Sunday 4-10-11)

Also, 30 degrees? That seems kinda low and if my education is not failing me its about 2 degrees below freezing, of water anyway…not sure about beer ?

Do you mean "removing the airlock" as an equivalent to their closing of the fermentor exhaust vent? There are a few threads on here about pressurized fermentation, but you need to have the right setup. If you just seal up a better bottle or glass carboy, you might be in for some trouble.

Beer's freezing point varies by alcohol content. A formula is listed here, though I can't attest as to whether or not it is accurate. In any case, 30ºF is fine for most styles, though I suspect that keeping it at 33ºF would get you nearly identical conditioning.

My primary fermenter is a 1/4 barrel keg so I am good to go on the pressure containment.

My airlock just sits on an air fitting so to seal it up is super easy for me. Sunday makes a week so I may seal it up and give it a try.

I wonder though, when transferring it carbonated to the secondary wont it get all foamy?

I think I will drop my freezer to 34 just to be safe...

Give a search for pressurized fermentation, I'm sure there are a few people on here who have tried it. Generally, I think the idea is to keep the entire system pressurized from fermenter to keg so you don't get foaming like you are talking about. Most people I've seen will do this in a conical fermenter where they can seal up the fermenter to pressurize/carbonate, remove the yeast cone if they want to secondary the beer, then transfer to a keg using CO2 so the system remains under pressure. But heck, give it a shot and let us know how it goes :D.

Back