Removing sulfur from cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qcbrew

Reaction score
I made some cider which has been sitting in a secondary for 1 1/2 months (previously 1 month in primary) and still reeks of sulfur, so I am looking for a faster way to remove the sulfur than sit and wait.

Basically I read about two methods; 1. using a degasser 2. running CO2 through it.

So my concerns would be for degassing; how do you avoid oxidation? Do you just stir slowly without forming a whirpool and that should do the trick?
For running CO2; I don't have a diffusion stone handy so I was thinking to transfer to a keg; carb up, release pressure and repeat. Has anyone done this before?

Which method is better in your opinion?

The keg method would be my first choice, due to only exposing the cider to CO2. Pressurize, shake, purge, repeat.

What's the proper way to purge all the O2 from a corny keg? Can you just hook up the CO2 and keep releasing the pressure?

Oxygen removes the sulfur so you want to oxidize the Cider to remove the sulfur. Degass or mix with a spoon and let sit in your bottling bucket and then bottle when the smell is down.

I am not sure how the CO2 would help.

Back