Removing Krausen Ring in Sanke Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
Hello all,

I ferment 11 gals of homebrew in sanke kegs (where the spear is removed). I love using these vessels for fermention. The only problem, however, is the krausen residue left inside the fermenter. It's difficult to look inside the keg, and even harder to clean the trouble areas with a brush. I've soaked my fermenter with oxyclean for days (recently 4 days), scrubbing incessantly as long as I can, but it doesn't seem to remove any of the residue.

Any other options I can use that may help dissolve the krausen residue? Maybe some sort of caustic cleaner? Any suggestions would greatly help.

Thanks!

You can use a mirror like a dental one and a flash light. I simply soak in PBW and hot water over night. Then I use a big carboy brush. Mine come out sparkling with no effort. I just use my iPhone flash light to shine in and I can see any krausen line.

But a simple swipe with the carboy brush, it's gone... I also make sure to rinse and soak my fermenters as soon as I'm done with them.

You can try lye, but I don't see why you're having so much trouble. Are you mixing your oxyclean too light? Do you use hot water? And what kind of brush are you using?

I always had to scrub at it with a home made rod/green scubby... with hot oxyclean. It always missed some, and I had to go back and scrub like a mad man.
But then;
I had a 90 elbow/fan tip made up for my pressure washer. Cost about $20. It takes seconds to do what used to take a half-hour.

I just wanted to revisit this thread to discuss the method I found works best for removing ALL crud inside my sanke fermenters.

I know it's been discussed on here a handful of times, but I just wanted to be one more person who endorses the Hot Oxyclean/PBW method.

I've made it a habit to clean my entire Herms system in place. HLT through HERMS coil into Mash Tun into Boil Kettle. Cleans all lines and pumps. Hot Oxyclean (170F) rinse, then a Cold Water rinse, then Starsans rinse (helps neutralize any oxyclean I might have missed in the cold rinse).

When I get to the Boil kettle with my Oxyclean rinse, I bring it to a boil. I don't let it boil for long. As soon as I hit 212F, I begin to dump it into my fermenter, which I cap with a triclamp cap and let sit upside down overnight.

The crud is gone for good in ever vessel I've cleaned this way. Super effective. Since I'm using the oxyclean that made it's way to the boil from the rest of the system, it can be pretty murky and filthy, but it still highly effective.

Back