Removing Keg Posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trav77

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Maybe a dumb question here but... I've kegged for a number of years but my kegs have always been ball lock cornies without the plastic guarding on top so I've always just used a wrench or vice grips to remove the posts.

Recently I bought a couple more kegs but they were the guarded type like in the pic. I can't really get at the posts with a wrench and looking around my usual only LHBS retailers I don't see a standard tool for this.

What does everyone else do to get these posts off? Almost like you would need a spark plug wrench but smaller...

corneliuskeg-500x500.jpg

Well, yes, a deep socket is the tool to use. Can't see whether you have ball or pin but while an ordinary socket is fine for the ball you need some slots cut for the pin which you can do yourself with a Dremmel tool but home brew suppliers do sell a socket with the slots cut.

Depending on what style "wrench" you are referring to, it is possible that you might not have enough clearance to turn the post (one-way or the other). You could try a 12 point closed end wrench (maybe 22mm or 7/8"). That should allow for more clearance possibilities.

This wrench, from Sears, is perfect for ALL ball lock kegs. I have 7 kegs with one size post, and 3 with a smaller size. This wrench handles both of them. Sears (my store had it sitting on a shelf, but you can buy online). (thanks EdWort!)

Craftsman 11/16 x 7/8 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box-End
| Sears Item# 00942165000 | Model# 42165

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16-x-7-8-in-wrench-ratcheting-box/p-00942165000P

spin_prod_1157196812

This wrench, from Sears, is perfect for ALL ball lock kegs. I have 7 kegs with one size post, and 3 with a smaller size. This wrench handles both of them. Sears (my store had it sitting on a shelf, but you can buy online). (thanks EdWort!)

Craftsman 11/16 x 7/8 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box-End
| Sears Item# 00942165000 | Model# 42165

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16-x-7-8-in-wrench-ratcheting-box/p-00942165000P

spin_prod_1157196812

+1. This is what I use for my kegs. Works perfectly.

Small sample size. Buy 12 more kegs and see what you end up with ;)

My first half dozen kegs were all 11/16" posts.
The next 10 have all been 7/8"...

Cheers!

It is a small sample. I will be at this level for a while. I have what I need for the near future. Down the road? Who knows?

Small sample size. Buy 12 more kegs and see what you end up with ;)

My first half dozen kegs were all 11/16" posts.
The next 10 have all been 7/8"...

Cheers!

I had a mix right away- and I have 11/16", 7/8" and a few 3/4" ones. That with a few 11/16" 12-pointed stars means I have a nice set of deep sockets. :D

I use 2 box end wrenches. Some day I intend to cut each one in half and weld the two ends together so I have a single wrench that fits all my kegs. Will that be day occur on this weekend?

Only time will tell.

I do like that ratchet wrench Passedpawn posted, though...

Latest posts

Back