Removing Hops (Hop Pellets)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro16

Reaction score
Hello - First time on this site. Any opinions out there regarding removing diluted Hops from the wort prior to fermentation. I am into my third Brew, and the first Brew I did not filter out the Hops, the second I did. My first batch turned out much better then the 2nd. I know there were probably other variables, but was wondering if that had something to do with it?

The book that I have been reading suggests removing it, but I'm not sure it is necessary.

I am also curious about this same issue. I have brewed up a few batches and simply cooled the whole batch and dumped it all (unfiltered) into the fermenter... only gets removed when I move it to the secondary. I am also curious if there is something I should be filtering out before moving it from chiller to primary fermentation.

I also get a lot of "junk" on the sides of my brewpot during the boil... should one be scraping this off the sides back into the boil or just leave it? Seems like all the hops material ends up stuck to the side of my pot as the boiling rises....

My take on this is, if you're fermenting in a bucket, then go ahead and dump everything in the fermenter. It isn't going to cause any problems, and pellet residue and everything else will get left behind when you rack to secondary or bottling bucket. On the other hand, if you're fermenting in a carboy,then you've got to pour through a funnel, so why not filter it as you pour.

davy said:
do you have a funnel and a filter on the funnel or just use mulin or nylon bags.

The first batch, I didn't filter or funnel, I poured into bottling bucket, mixed the 3 gal of cold water, then drained into the carboy. Second batch, I placed the hops in nylon bags, thus filtering out the spent hops.

My concern was, maybe I didn't get the full flavor from the hops on the second batch because I removed the hops?

If you put all of your hops in the fermenter, you are exposing the wort to the flavor and aroma hops for much longer periods than the recipe would call for (ditto bittering, but the bittering oils don't dissolve much except at a boil). Since many of us are hopheads, this works just fine.

For many styles, the timing of hop additions is critical. Worry about this later.

Thanks Davy...that's what I wanted to hear. I was hoping noone would say, you NEED to remove the hops.:rockin:

Good question, I don't think there is really a wrong way to do it, just a matter of preference. When I brew I use the nylon socks for my hops as well as the grains. This reduces any build-up you might get on the sides of the brew pot, and also reduces the amount of sediment that ends up in your fermenter. I also use the funnel with a filter to funnel the chilled wort directly into the carboy. The filter gets clogged up with hops to the point it won't flow sometimes so I pour slowly and remove the filter after a few funnels full of wort to clean it out. Doing it this way, I've never had issues with to much sediment or excess hops.

No problem glad I could help. I have never read anywhere that you NEED to remove hops but leaving them will definitely give a different flavor profile. For example Dry hopping where you actually add hop pellets to your beer usually in the secondary. Never done it myself not that much into hop flavor. Found and article in BYO check it out.

http://***********/mrwizard/740.html

What book are you reading?
Also what are you brewing?

davy said:
No problem glad I could help. I have never read anywhere that you NEED to remove hops but leaving them will definitely give a different flavor profile. For example Dry hopping where you actually add hop pellets to your beer usually in the secondary. Never done it myself not that much into hop flavor. Found and article in BYO check it out.

Good article...Thanks! As I progress, it appears I will have to pay more attention to removing particulates.

I'm Brewing a Kit "American Amber" .
6lbs Light Malt Extract Syrup
3/4 lb Crystal Malt
1/8 lb Victory Malt
1oz Simcoe Hop Pellets @ boil
1/2 oz Centennial Hops @ 30 min
1/2 oz Centennial Hops @ 50 min
White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast

The book I'm reading is "The Complete-Joy of Home Brewing" 3rd Edition by Charlie Papazian

davy said:

Good article...Thanks! As I progress, it appears I will have to pay more attention to removing particulates.

I'm Brewing a Kit "American Amber" .
6lbs Light Malt Extract Syrup
3/4 lb Crystal Malt
1/8 lb Victory Malt
1oz Simcoe Hop Pellets @ boil
1/2 oz Centennial Hops @ 30 min
1/2 oz Centennial Hops @ 50 min
White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast

The book I'm reading is "The Complete-Joy of Home Brewing" 3rd Edition by Charlie Papazian

Back