Removing hop bag post-boil? Stop bittering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaellman

Reaction score
So I'm in the midst of brewing a Oktoberfest/Marzen with my new kettle (Blichman 30gallon Boilermaker, if I can brag for a moment) and I'm mid-way through hop additions. I've seem the boil-off is different on this kettle then my prior, so I'm going to be OVER on volume by end of boil.

My question is simple, can I pull my bagged hops when end of boil SHOULD have been and continue boiling to boil off the remaining wort or will I continue to extract IBU's from hops already in the wort that came out of the bag??

Obviously, some assistance in haste would be greatly appreciated, as I need to know within the next 30-40 minutes. Thanks!

So I'm in the midst of brewing a Oktoberfest/Marzen with my new kettle (Blichman 30gallon Boilermaker, if I can brag for a moment) and I'm mid-way through hop additions. I've seem the boil-off is different on this kettle then my prior, so I'm going to be OVER on volume by end of boil.

My question is simple, can I pull my bagged hops when end of boil SHOULD have been and continue boiling to boil off the remaining wort or will I continue to extract IBU's from hops already in the wort that came out of the bag??

Obviously, some assistance in haste would be greatly appreciated, as I need to know within the next 30-40 minutes. Thanks!

You will continue to extract bittering, as it's the hops from the hops and not the hops themselves that isomerize and provide the bittering. The hops oils should be in the wort.

What I would do is go ahead and boil more and not add the hops that are later in the boil. Does that make sense? Go ahead and boil down to your volume, but don't add more hops. If you post the recipe and hops additions, I can be more specific.

Thanks for the response Yooper!, This has only a single bittering hop addition boiled for 60 minutes (3oz Hallertauer) so I can't really make any additonal hop adjustments.

I'll just check OG & volume at end of boil and figure out if I want to deal with additional IBU's or smaller beer with more volume.

Good news is, I used Rice Hulls for the first time today and I think it upped my efficiency from low 70's to high 70's, low 80's... so I may have the extra for the volume. We'll see, thanks!

Thanks for the response Yooper!, This has only a single bittering hop addition boiled for 60 minutes (3oz Hallertauer) so I can't really make any additonal hop adjustments.

I'll just check OG & volume at end of boil and figure out if I want to deal with additional IBU's or smaller beer with more volume.

Good news is, I used Rice Hulls for the first time today and I think it upped my efficiency from low 70's to high 70's, low 80's... so I may have the extra for the volume. We'll see, thanks!

Oh, then I wouldn't worry much. You won't get a ton more IBUs from a 90 minute boil vs a 60 minute boil anyway, although I could run it through Beersmith if you want to give me the recipe.

Since the OG may end up being the same, you may want to end with more volume at the end of 60 minutes depending on what the OG is.

Boiled for an additional 30 minutes (90min boil) and OG ended at 1.061 at 11gallons and was expected to be 1.058 so the additional gallon & 30min boil was probably a good thing.

I need to stop changing things in my system, it seems as soon as I learn the system I go change something and throw everything out of wack!

Back