Remove dryhop before moving to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focker1230

Reaction score
I'm currently on my third batch using a recipe that calls for a 10 day primary, 10 day secondary with an addition of 3 oz hops at 7 days. Seeing that I've never dry hopped before I'm a little confused. Do I need to remove the hops before transferring to secondary? Or is there anything that goes along with dry hopping that I should be aware of. Thanks!

Dry hopped AT 7 days, or for the FINAL 7 days? Typically you dry hop for the final 3-7 days...

I wish they fixed the recipes that come with kits....

I guess it's an IPA? Leave it in your primary for 2-3 weeks. Make sure it's fermenting. Then 5-7 days before bottling day dry hop it right in the primary. You can put the hops in a well-sanitized hop bag (make sure it's large enough so the hops can swell) or, my favorite, just pitch em in loose. A little swirling every day will make sure the beer gets to the hops. If you threw them in loose, use a fine-mesh hop back around the racking cane when transferring to the bottling bucket.

The less you touch the beer the better it is. Racking may cause problems (infections, oxidation) and is generally not needed unless you want to age it a long time or add fruit or so. And the last one is even debatable.

They definitely mean the LAST 7 days before bottling. Whether or not you use a secondary is entirely up to you. If you have a spare month or two you MIGHT be able to read all the debates on that subject!!

Man, you guys are awesome. Well if this helps it is for the zombie dust clone recipe and I plan on using the secondary. Thanks.

Then the dry hopping will happen in the secondary. Drop your hops in the secondary 7 days before bottling.

I make a "cone" out of a piece of paper from my printer and remove the air lock. Then I just pour the hops into the primary. Never have used a secondary in the past 2 years.

Back