Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a Navy squadron I was once stationed at we had a "soda" machine in our Chief's Mess. It wasn't one of the cool ones like posted above. It was a bit more modern, push button type. Anyway. The labels on the button were coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew but inside was beer! It was a secret. Probably not really.
One of the schools I went to for the Navy in San Diego (32nd Street?) had beer machines near the berthing areas/rooms. Back in eighty-something. The new Navy has the "right spirit" campaign. When we had a divisional party, we had X amount of dollars for the brew and whatever was left over was for food and such.
Oh and let's not even talk about how the initiation process and gotten toned down...

Remember the long gas lines during the oil embargo, every time we were in line sweating our butts off in the back of the big red Belair Station wagon some one would run out gas and end up pushing their vehicle the rest of the way to the pump.

Remember the day's of B/W Tele and limited channels,and you got into a cafe and play jukebox and mobile phone came in a backpack

15zpm6v.jpg

Anybody remember the Atari computers from the early eighties? There was the 400 and 800, IIRC. My buddies parents had the 400 (we were in 6th grade in '82-'83. We played video games that had to be "loaded" by inserting a cassete into a deck that was connected to the computer. I also remember writing really short programs in BASIC.

I remember those. I got one not long after I got my tsr 80. Mine had a slot in the top for a cartridge, different cartridges for games and for programming in basic. I has an old black and white metal cased admiral TV to hook my computers to.

just found this button in my "sh*t I just can't bring myself to throw away" drawer

got about a dozen of these when I delivered pizzas to the local cable station when MTV first started this promotion and I still have 4 or 5 of them.

View attachment 111336

I still had the red tshirt until a couple of years ago when my wife threw it away because it had holes in it. Earned it while working my first job (other than mowing lawns and painting houses and fences and delivering papers) at Miller & Paine. I remember watching the first video when it came on.... Video killed the Radio Star.

The horribly addictive game Simon. I've still got one of these from approx 1981-1983'ish ... still in very good condition ... I had two, that's why the one I've got left is still in such good shape.
The sound this game makes still rings in the ears.

200px-OriginalSimon.jpg

We were top of the line with this bad boy! (PONG) We got Simon a year or so late more or less.

th.jpeg

At the time I was in programming in college, we used the radio shack model 4's & such. I had all three of the color computers at home with tape & floppy disk drive. Might still have some of that stuff?

One of the schools I went to for the Navy in San Diego (32nd Street?) had beer machines near the berthing areas/rooms. Back in eighty-something. The new Navy has the "right spirit" campaign. When we had a divisional party, we had X amount of dollars for the brew and whatever was left over was for food and such.
Oh and let's not even talk about how the initiation process and gotten toned down...

Yep, way back when if you were old enough to serve you were old enough to be served. Beer machines in the barracks!! I remember those

I got pinned in 1997, about the last year the Penguin Court and props existed and "Tradition" soon became a bad word.

About the time I turned 18 & had just missed the last draft by 3 digits, we were legally allowed to go into the bar & drink the 3.2 swill of the day. We used to stop after high school on the way home for a brew with our mates from auto tech. And my (now) wife was there with her girlfriends...:rockin:

I remember when we had these erasable pens in the 80s. I can't recall the brand, but they were a grey/silver color with a narrow, but thick-walled plastic barrel. The cartridge with all metal, like the ink was pressurized inside it or something.

What I remember most was that you could take out the ink cartridge, remove the eraser end, cram a spitwad tightly in one end, cram ANOTHER spitwad tightly in the other end, and then shove the cartridge quickly and forciblyinto one end, creating a high pressure "GUN" device, which propelled the spitwad at a high velocity toward it's target. I usually used a book, or my belt, or something to push the cartridge in with.

That thing would make an awesome POP/BANG sound, followed immediately buy and "OWWW!!" sound! ;)

Sadly, that model pen disappeared. I'm not sure there is a pen with the proper design (Smooth, untapered barrel, rigid metal cartridge, removable ends) in the market today to emulate that weapon, er I mean, writing instrument!

I remember when we had these erasable pens in the 80s. I can't recall the brand, but they were a grey/silver color with a narrow, but thick-walled plastic barrel. The cartridge with all metal, like the ink was pressurized inside it or something.

What I remember most was that you could take out the ink cartridge, remove the eraser end, cram a spitwad tightly in one end, cram ANOTHER spitwad tightly in the other end, and then shove the cartridge quickly and forciblyinto one end, creating a high pressure "GUN" device, which propelled the spitwad at a high velocity toward it's target. I usually used a book, or my belt, or something to push the cartridge in with.

That thing would make an awesome POP/BANG sound, followed immediately buy and "OWWW!!" sound! ;)

Sadly, that model pen disappeared. I'm not sure there is a pen with the proper design (Smooth, untapered barrel, rigid metal cartridge, removable ends) in the market today to emulate that weapon, er I mean, writing instrument!

take one of these style pens (you know, the cheapest ones ever)
Field-Notes-Clic-Pen-Black.jpg

Unscrew the pen, push the button part out with the ink cartridge
Ballpoint-pen-parts.jpg

take the little cup part that goes over the top of the ink cartridge (in the picture above its the white piece just above the back end of the ink cartridge) and place the spring from the tip of the ink part in between it and the rest of the button assembly (reverse the little pastic cup part so the spring is all the way encased)
Then reassemble the back of the pen in its new configuration and use the ink cartridge to push the plastic part into the barrel of the pen back. It should stay up there. Then all you have to do is aim at someone and click the button part on the back of the pen. Immediate eye hazard projectile flying across the room. The spring often follows it as well.

Not erasable at all but I am still feel a little proud every time I find a Skillcraft pen (the seem to be in ever old box I open). This is just the short version of the story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...4/17/AR2010041701297.html?hpid=topnews&sub=AR

Indirectly it was the first time that Government Procurement did something positive (and employed a crap-load of disabled folks in the process) without stumbling over their own BS. Depending on what version of the story you believe this was not even really a "Depression Era" mandate so much as an attempt to supply jobs..mostly to blinded war vets...AND a superior pen. The 16-page spec was (allegedly) written and re-written over many weeks so that one and only one manufacturer could win the award.

The parts of these pens, being so integral to everything a soldier does when not on the battlefield, have been adapted to various "field expedient" tools since it is likely they have one on their person anyway. Much like discussions on the uses of duct tape, the pen and its parts have some amazing uses.

OK, remember when you were still able to assume that all people you met were basically good, honorable, and trustworthy until proven otherwise. I still struggle with this one because I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and am less often disappointed than you might think.

For those mechanically inclined, do you remember when you would pull over to help someone change a tire, or fix their car on the side of the road? I got out of the habit while I was still married and the wife would pee her pants if I even mentioned I had done such a thing...now I am not sure anyone would accept the help.

OK, remember when you were still able to assume that all people you met were basically good, honorable, and trustworthy until proven otherwise. I still struggle with this one because I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and am less often disappointed than you might think.

For those mechanically inclined, do you remember when you would pull over to help someone change a tire, or fix their car on the side of the road? I got out of the habit while I was still married and the wife would pee her pants if I even mentioned I had done such a thing...now I am not sure anyone would accept the help.

I know how you feel. I still offer help (directions when people look lost, or even a quick conversation when someone looks confused). I would stop and help on roadside cars (to the limit of my knowledge) but most of the time its just someone on the phone. I think I am going to continue to offer assistance. Just being unassuming and giving people their space when I do it.

I remember when in the late sixties and early seventies during Vietnam you would stop to pick up G.Is hitchhiking home.Would be afraid to do it now,and I haven't seen a soldier hitching forever anyway.

I remember when in the late sixties and early seventies during Vietnam you would stop to pick up G.Is hitchhiking home.Would be afraid to do it now,and I haven't seen a soldier hitching forever anyway.

I remember hitchhiking all over Western Europe in the 80's and 90's. Not sure if it is still common but rides in England and Scotland were the easiest to get. German was not bad but Switzerland/Liechtenstein were impossible. Spain/Italy/France were a mixed bag with mostly truckers giving rides.

As an American that spoke fluent German, enough French to get arrested and enough Italian to order dinner, I was enough of a novelty that it might have helped my case after I was in the car, a ride was guaranteed but getting them to stop was not that hard either.

We used to make pen grenades out of those military pens using the end pieces of bicycle spokes to hold a revolver type cap, to be struck by another spoke end stuffed into the plunger. We then filled the cavity with powder extracted from firecrackers. You could throw them and they would always land on the plunger end striking the cap, sending a spark down the hollow spoke piece and setting off the gunpowder. I've removed many a plastic piece of shrapnel from my body. Fortunately, I never took it in the eyes or knew of anyone who did. It would probably be a felony charge to make one today.

Remember making tiny rockets by covering a paper match with a piece of foil from a cigarette pack & heating the enclosed match head with another match & watching it fly about 8 feet or so?

Remember making sparkler rockets with the cardboard tube from coat hangers, those brown/green sparklers & duct tape?
Regards, GF.

I remember weekends when we'd be out cruzin' & smokin' Weed pick up hitchhikers with their duffle bags. Walk in, stagger out kinda thing. We felt it was the least we could do?

I remember a candy called "Black Cow," like a "Slow Poke" or maybe a "Sugar Daddy," but chocolate. Haven't seen it in decades, but they might still make it. I remember Brooks catsup, arguably the BEST catsup made in the US; only made in Canada now. I remember paying $17 for a new pair of Levis jeans. I remember when the min. wage was raised to $3.10/hr & thinking I would have so much more money because of it. Ya, I was young & dumb then.
Regards, GF.

I remember a candy called "Black Cow," like a "Slow Poke" or maybe a "Sugar Daddy," but chocolate. Haven't seen it in decades, but they might still make it. I remember Brooks catsup, arguably the BEST catsup made in the US; only made in Canada now. I remember paying $17 for a new pair of Levis jeans. I remember when the min. wage was raised to $3.10/hr & thinking I would have so much more money because of it. Ya, I was young & dumb then.
Regards, GF.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/nsearch/?q=Black+cow

Regards, GF.

There were Sugar Babies, too. Little nuggets of caramel.

My fave back then were the rolls of Regal Crown wild cherry sours. They were usually sold at the checkout counters of restaurants.

My first W-4 job paid $2.10 an hour, the minimum at the time. I feel old.

Yeah, it seems to me my first mechanic job in like 1974 was $2.10/hour plus commision. Had to work my a$$ off for $84/week take home.

EZ cheese before spray cans. The only time we got this was on family road trips. I thought you could only get it if you were on vacation.

V__CE78.jpeg

The Mattel Vac-u-form back in the early 60's. As an 8 year old used to spend hours with this thing. There were so many things that could go wrong and cause nasty burns or cut a finger off trying to cut plastic shapes out with an exacto knife.

Also remember when kids could get chemistry sets with all sorts of nasty chemicals. My favorite thing to do was to make shapes and blow bubbles of glass by heating glass tubes with the bunson burner.

Kids are just too protected today.

vacuformtoy.jpg

There used to be a candy that was basically made of DME/LME, shaped like a square cylinder & individually wrapped, about the same color as a carmel. It was hard, but eventually softened up & was chewy. Can't remember the name of it, but I remember eating it once in a while when I was a kid in MI & IN; it wasn't very common even back then. Every time I do a search for malt candy, all I get is Whoppers & such candy or malted milk powder. I wonder if there's a viable market for such a candy these days? Would you eat a hardened piece of LME or a compressed pellet of DME?
Regards, GF.

THAT'S THE NAME OF IT!

brew club was trying to describe the smell/taste of my last barleywine and someone came up with that, but we couldn't remember the name

spot on description, though

This stuff is still being sold at stores near me.

My, some times adult, step daughter loves the stuff, and has to have some every Christmas.

:smack:
:goat:

I remember when everything in the kitchen seemed to be that color...:eek:

Remember? This house came with a 1978 harvest gold Whirlpool electric range top and separate built in oven. They both still work.

hey! my beer fridge is that color. well, the surfaces which aren't covered in stickers and bottlecap magnets are a very faded version of that color

it keeps my beer cold and as soon as I'm done buying all the parts for my BrewPi, it will be my fermentation fridge

so don't be hatin' on the 70s color appliances.

Latest posts

Back