Relocating Cooling element Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Reaction score
I just bought a GE black 4.5 CF Fridge from wally world for $150 on sale :D I ordered a 2 Corny Keg kit, with a 10 gallon Co2 tank, reg, perlick taps and tower. Here's is my question as you can see from the pic the Kegs dont fit without moving the cooling element thing. Right now I took it off and it is hanging. I could always return it if its too much work to mess with. Would cutting it and mounting it higher to accommodate the kegs make a difference with the cooling? I also have a feeling the Co2 tank isnt going to fit inside with the 2 kegs. I am assuming I can make a system to mount the Co2 thank externally work. Now I feel like I should of got the 5 gallon tank :eek:

IMAG0307.jpg

just strap the tank to the outside of the fridge. there is no reason to put the co2 tank inside with the kegs.

I'm not sure about relocating whatever that is sticking out in the middle of the firdge. i doesn't look like it has any cooling lines or anything... What kind of fridge is this? does it have a refrigerant line or is it solid state cooling?

BTW the co2 tanks are measured in lbs not gallons. so you have a 10# co2 tank. 10 gallons of liquid co2 would be huge.

I have the exact same fridge. I had to bend the cooling element as flat as possible and put it flush against the back of the fridge. Just make sure the cooling element is warm and bend slowly and carfully! Then to fit two kegs in it I had to cut the sides of the fridge flush with the grooves for the shelves. It doesn't look pretty inside but it works. If you wanted to go all the way you could cut the side all the way out and custom fit some plaxiglass to cover the foam insulation. I drilled a small hole in the back and fed some CO2 tubing through that.

just strap the tank to the outside of the fridge. there is no reason to put the co2 tank inside with the kegs.

I'm not sure about relocating whatever that is sticking out in the middle of the firdge. i doesn't look like it has any cooling lines or anything... What kind of fridge is this? does it have a refrigerant line or is it solid state cooling?

BTW the co2 tanks are measured in lbs not gallons. so you have a 10# co2 tank. 10 gallons of liquid co2 would be huge.
Thanks for clearing that up! I seen mostly interior placed Co2 tanks and only a few external ones. Never thought their was any advantage to the interior ones except for saving space.

I have the exact same fridge. I had to bend the cooling element as flat as possible and put it flush against the back of the fridge. Just make sure the cooling element is warm and bend slowly and carfully! Then to fit two kegs in it I had to cut the sides of the fridge flush with the grooves for the shelves. It doesn't look pretty inside but it works. If you wanted to go all the way you could cut the side all the way out and custom fit some plaxiglass to cover the foam insulation. I drilled a small hole in the back and fed some CO2 tubing through that.

Thanks! This is what I wanted to hear. I figured I had to do something like this to make it work. I really like the plain black look of it and the price of it too. Can't wait to build this thing up. I am assuming its completely ok to Cut a hole on top for my tower with out worry about cutting into anything besides insulation.

I put wheels on it and a tower on top as well with bottle opener on the front. I am trying to post some pictures of the inside right now. I am not the best on computers and tried uploading them from my camera to this sight at said I could not do it. Hopefully I can figure it out and show you what the inside of mine looks like. Just be careful not to kink the tubing or bend the cooling element so much that it gets a leak and you will be fine.

I put wheels on it and a tower on top as well with bottle opener on the front. I am trying to post some pictures of the inside right now. I am not the best on computers and tried uploading them from my camera to this sight at said I could not do it. Hopefully I can figure it out and show you what the inside of mine looks like. Just be careful not to kink the tubing or bend the cooling element so much that it gets a leak and you will be fine.

That would be awesome, thanks again! If you dont mind you can email them to me. Ill make sure I dont break that line, I have a good idea where to mount it too. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back