Relocated hops doing well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Soft Underbelly

Reaction score
Last year i planted 3 varieties in the same bed, figuring they would be no problem to move this spring when i had a better idea of where to put 'em. HA! Wow... DON'T DO THAT! The roots hadn't quite tangled but they dug so deep into the soil, they were impossible to remove completely.

Naturally when i got them up and temporarily potted (still wasn't sure where i would put 'em all) the weather turns to s&$t and they are stuck in the pots for some two plus weeks. In that time, Moose, ordinarily the best dog ever, gives into to his terrier impulses and digs up and destroys the better part of my Willamette crown - not likely to recover, and the cascade and chinook start to explode in their pots, throwing off shoots in every direction.

I planted the two remaining varieties on Saturday and they appear to be doing wonderfully. I cant wait to have full fat bines of hops this year. They say the 3rd year is when hops really become established, but i have to say if you show 'em the right kinda love in th first year, they do really well in their second.

Back