Reliable vendor for hops plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I put some rhizomes in the ground this year and they don’t appear to be making any progress.

To be fair, they didn’t look great when they went in the ground.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of a vendor who is selling varieties of hop plants that are already growing in pots that could be transplanted to the ground at my house. I’m seeing a few online; but, they all have the same varieties and only 2-3. I’m really looking for one solid and versatile bittering type and then a handful of different aroma hops.

Muchas gracias mi amigos.

You might also try www.yakimavalleyhops.com. I’ve had good experiences with them. But they sell rhizomes. Depending on where you live and when you planted your rhizomes and how long they sat before you put them in the ground, they may still be good. Keep them moist until you’re sure they’re dead. There are a number of vine sellers out there, but you’ll pay more for the vines than you’ll get in hops. But since they’re perennial, over time you could end up ahead.

hey boomer, same here. I got my rhizomes too early I think 3 cascade, 3 tettnanger.
Only two are growing and the tettnanger is out pacing the cascade which i've read should be the otherway around.
one is totally done and i see another tettnanger starting to bud.
the other two cascades are rooting but nothing else.

to be fair i got them late march and they sat in my fridge until a week past the last frost which was early may.
I have them in pots and sunlight is sporatic now due to trees. I plan to plant them in my parents garden which gets full sun all day once they are really going and don't need to be babysat.

next yr i'll probably go whole plants since the cost is only a few $$ more than rhizomes.

+1 on Great Lakes Hops. I got my two from them three years ago and am very happy with them. Great selection and prices in my opinion.

Great Lakes is where I got my Plants. Arrived in the mail fast, Be ready to plant when you order because they do not come shipped in pots. I found myself buying small pots and potting soil because I was not ready to plant just yet. View attachment 572497

Attachments

• IMG_6176.JPG
    IMG_6176.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
I picked up seven varieties from Morebeer this spring, the rhizome pieces were kind of small, but they all came up. Did not cost that much.

Another vote for Great Lakes Hops. I have bought from them several times and cannot say enough about the health of their plants (no rhizomes). Plus they not only have a huge, huge selection but some awesome new offerings from their Heritage line

Latest posts

Back