Releasing CO2 in Pin Lock Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindsor

Reaction score
I just got everything set up to start kegging my beer. I read that you are supposed to fill up the empty keg with Co2 and then release the pressure before siphoning the beer into the keg. The problem is that I have pin lock kegs and I am not sure how to release the pressure since there is no relief valve like on the ball lock. Any help or other beginning kegging tips are appreciated. I am ready to get this ball rolling and get away from bottling!

I know this is crazy but I don't really understand what you are saying. Could you possibly dumb that down a bit for a new guy like me?

The post where the pin lock connector connects has a valve in the middle of it. If you poke the top of your post with a screwdriver, you'll find it. Press it in, it'll release the pressure.

The metal posts that you push the quick disconnects onto have a small circle in the middle and that's called the poppet valve. You'll remove the gas in hose and quick disconnect and put on that small circle to release pressure. If you have a spare gas quick disconnect that you don't have connect to a regulator, pushing that onto the gas post is another easy way to vent.

use a chop stick to depress the poppet . Just the right size and zero chance of damage. I have 4 pin locks and 20 push and that the way I do the pins

And you don't have to completly fill the keg with CO2. Push enough in so that when you are filling the keg, the end of what you use to fill it with is submersed in CO2. When you finish filling, purge the keg with CO2 to vent all the air.
This way will probably waste less CO2 when done right.

I know this thread is super old, but I've got the same issue.

I'll kegging for the first time soon and don't have pressure release valves on the lid. So, in my mind, the process would have to be as follows:

1. Siphon beer into keg
2. Hook up CO2 and pressurize (to what PSI?)
3. Take off gas line and push in gas poppet to purge air
4. Hook up gas line, set at 10-12 PSI for a few weeks

Do I have this right?

I would recommend performing steps 2 & 3, three consecutive times. This will dilute the air in the headspace to reasonable levels.

I use 30psi to seat lid and purge, then drop to carb pressure.

1. purge the keg with co2
2. Siphon beer into keg
3. Hook up CO2 and pressurize (to what PSI?) 30psi usually works to seat the lid
4. Take off gas line and push in gas poppet to purge air
5. Hook up gas line, set at 10-12 PSI for a few weeks

Latest posts

Back