Regulator Variance Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long time home brewer, but I started kegging a two weeks ago.

I built three Spunding Valves for up coming projects and test all of them. No apparent leaks when I spray liquid on them.

If I set my keg's gauge at 10 psi, then attach the spunding valves I've built, one reads 10, the second 12, the third 8.

I suppose in the big picture- that I'm going to use these to bleed off CO2. So if I'm off by I bit- it doesn't matter. Since I can correct with my CO2 tank, but if find it a little irritating that the gauge's aren't all giving me the same reading.

Could my gauges be off? Is there something I'm not thinking about?

I did 'burp' my valves before taking a reading.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Yes. I've done a bunch of little tests to compare them. I thought the one that is low could be leaking. In fact if the readings are 12, 10, and 8. Then two could be leaking, but the one that reads 12 reads higher than the tanks gauge and that's what's confusing me.

I built all three so there could be errors, but I'm starting to think it's just the gauge. I think I'm going to put them on a keg and see if they hold a pressure level over time if it drops I have a leak. If doesn't, my gauges aren't true. I'm just not sure what else to do. Again it's mainly irrittating. I just want it to work "right".

so, initially you charged your kegs with 10 lbs pressure then attached your spunding valves and they read 8,10, and 12?

Were they new gauges?

Yes. The one that reads 12 is a bleeder valve I bought from northern brewer. I removed the on/ off and attached the pressure relief. After I saw how east it was I built the other two with brands new parts. One reads true and reads 2 less. I'm stumped. Lol.

Follow up on my own question....

I was talking to the owner of the local brew shop and he immediately said, "Yes."

He said that it's hard at low pressures, like 10 for gauges to be accurate and it's likely they are more accurate in the 20's. He also said if I test them over different levels I can essentially learn the discrepancy and adjust for it. So basically, unless I change the gauges, that's the way it is.

I'll likely write a note on them, "+2" or "-1"

Oh well, there are worse issues in brewing...

Do they make gauges with a more narrow range? Like 0-20 psi?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using HB Talk

well that's a good question. I'm new to kegging and just bought what they had on the shelf. I think your on to something. A gauge with a finer range wouldn't have the issue of a wide range gauge. But I don't know how to answer that. This topic hasn't got a lot of hits, so either it's not interesting or people don't know how to comment. :)

Either way I'll look into it. A very good solution to my issue- if the gauge exists. Thanks!

In general, the smaller the range the more accurate the gauges will be. What range are the gauges you're using? I used 0-30 psi gauges for mine, and they seem fairly accurate.

Back