Regulator screw quit adjusting the pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsocc

Reaction score
I recently had my regulator shipped across the country and it got a little dinged up in the process of moving (the gauges were a little bent). I had the tank filled. I hooked up the regulator and hooked the gas up to my corny keg. Initially, the weep hole whistled. I turned off the gas, disconnected everything and unscrewed the pressure adjustment screw. I put it back in. I hooked everything up again and initially I had 30psi. Then then I vented the keg and tried to adjust the pressure to 12 psi. It wouldn't put in past 10 psi and I can turn the screw all I want but it will not increase the pressure anymore.

What is the problem and how do I fix it? I'm a little paranoid I'm going to blow myself up with the co2 tank with the amount I'm fiddling with it.

I know its midnight east coast, but, bump for massive explosion paranoia. At least let me know I'm not gonna blow my face off.

Then on a bench disassemble the regulator body. Inspect for any debris in or around ports or diaphram assembly. Inspect diaphragm for damage.

That's most likely where your problem is.

It's usually something inside the regulator body that's stuck, jammed or clogged. (Beer that back-flowed into the reg can wreak havoc on all of the finely tuned moving parts.

If you securely fasten things back together after fudging with it there should be no explosions.... there could be leaks though. and make sure you check the output pressure before hooking it back up to any kind of vessel (keg) a faulty diaphram (or bad reinstall) could cause a lot of pressure to get through to the low side.

A word of caution - back the adjusting screw out before disassembly. Be ready for some spring pressure when you crack the case. Carefully contain the parts and make note of how they fit together.

I've dissassembled and re-assembled both of my regulators at one time or another. No explosions.

A word of caution - back the adjusting screw out before disassembly. Be ready for some spring pressure when you crack the case. Carefully contain the parts and make note of how they fit together.

+1 Adjusting screw should be as loose as possible otherwise it will jump at you. remove the retention screws slowly and maintain control of both sides of reg body.

Back