regulator leaks at weep hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
all was well until my c02 tank needed filling. I got a swap out. I attached it to my regulator and slowly opened the tank valve. The pressure immediately shot to the max and I heard a pop (turned out to be gas line popping off the ball lock connector on the keg). I have done hours of research and done all I can find. There was a tiny hole in the diaphragm (it was perfectly round - like it was put there on purpose). Anyway, i took it apart, inspected, cleaned, greased, stretched a spring and finally put electrical tape over the diaphragm hole. That held for 1/10 of a second but it led me to believe that i need a new diaphragm. BUT, with the pressure skyrocketing to 60 as soon as i open the tank, i think it would just blow again. I guess i need a new regulator huh?

but i'd still like to know what went wrong.

ps - mine is a north american dispense systems 70012

The pressure creep you are describing is more likely a failure of the high pressure seat. If you have a name brand regulator a rebuild kit should cost less than $20. Not a big deal if you have basic mechanical skills and simple hand tools but otherwise may be a bit too much for a DIY project.

as i understand it the type i have is now owned by taprite and it's a crapshoot for a rebuild kit. I disected the thing last night so I would feel completely comfortable rebuilding it.

is there ANY chance that the issue was caused by the tank I got? I mean, i doubt it but it IS quite a coincidence...

as i understand it the type i have is now owned by taprite and it's a crapshoot for a rebuild kit. I disected the thing last night so I would feel completely comfortable rebuilding it.

is there ANY chance that the issue was caused by the tank I got? I mean, i doubt it but it IS quite a coincidence...

I know this is a bit old, but were you able to resolve your issue? I have the exact same model regulator that I got from my brother to use as a backup and just put it on a new tank of gas last night. Same exact symptoms as you're saying, turn on gas at tank and the pressure immediate skyrockets blowing out the small hole in the front of the regulator. I can kind of cover the hole with my finger for a few seconds and it will hold pressure but obviously I need to fix something.

i ended up replacing it. also, from now on I make sure the reg valve is on it's lowest setting before hooking up to a tank.

i ended up replacing it. also, from now on I make sure the reg valve is on it's lowest setting before hooking up to a tank.

Damn. Yeah I might end up scrapping mine as well. The repair kits are cheap but shipping is not. It'll cost me close to $30 and this is a spare regulator for me. My regulator when I took it apart was missing the gasket that goes around the plastic disk and also had two button washers instead of a single one. It didn't seem like it had ever been opened so it's got me wondering if the thing was ever assembled properly to begin with.

Back