Regulator crapped out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crxtasy

Reaction score
Hello, while setting up the kegerator version 2.0 (18cuft standup fridge) to be holding 6 cornies etc etc, while doing all the gas fittings, and constantly turning regulator on and off, it began to get very sticky, and now nearly impossible to move. Is there anything that can be done? It is stuck at about 11psi, which is actually not to bad of a thing, can still serve beer, but would like to get it fixed. anyone run into this before? is the regulator pooched? its only about a year old.

very similiar to this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/econo-regulator.jpg

thanks

If by sticky, you mean the adjustment screw it hard to turn, then you should back it out and apply some graphite. A regulator is not an on-off valve and if you've been using it as one, you might have damaged the diaphragm. Shut the CO2 off at the tank and/or install a shutoff on the outlet.

If by sticky, you mean the adjustment screw it hard to turn, then you should back it out and apply some graphite. A regulator is not an on-off valve and if you've been using it as one, you might have damaged the diaphragm. Shut the CO2 off at the tank and/or install a shutoff on the outlet.

+1 to this. It's not meant to act as a valve.

Although, that doesn't explain why it's stuck. I suggest you closely inspect the threads of the screw. You might have managed, somehow, to cross thread and risk damage beyond repair.

Worst case, and I suggest you do this only if you are prepared to replace the reg, you could unscrew the bell housing and inspect teh diaphram and cartridge. Be careful tho and go slowly because if you don;t put some of these regulators back together just right, they'll not work properly at all.

Rebuild kits can be had but, depending on your reg, it can sometimes cost little more to get a new reg.

Indeed it sounds like you've crossed the threads. Back it out and inspect it. If it's beyond repair contact the company you purchased it from to see if they sell a replacement regulator bonnet. I've been told that they aren't interchangeable from one brand to the next though I've never tested it.

Good luck.

Back