Refurbish Corny Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmschlatt

Reaction score
I got a great deal on some ball lock kegs and am looking to refurb them so I can get into kegging. :)

These kegs have sat in a garage in 100+ degree heat (Texas) for years. I already plan on replacing all seals since they are crumbly. In the picture below, you can see that one is missing a lid and another is missing the gas post. My friend recommended I replace all posts too. Is that really necessary?

For the missing post, can I buy this kit? Seems like $9.99 for a gas and liquid post is great deal compared to $7.99 for one.

Thanks for any help! :mug:

Corny.jpg

If it were me, I'd replace all the O-rings (including those in the posts) and maybe replace the poppets too. Then I imagine you should be good, just do a pressure check before you try putting beer in them. Nothing worse than a leaky keg! (First hand experience)

If the other posts are clean and work I don't see why you would need to switch them out. I have bought some kegs in poor shape before and never had an issue with the posts. Had to switch a few gaskets but you are already doing that.

The posts are most likely fine.

Based on your pics... I'd replace the gaskets, poppets, and prv's.

Yup- no need to spend a bunch more than you have to. This will do you- if you need to down the road, replace some of the parts you find out are bad.

I'd replace that poppet. The rubber looks warped.
I agree with everything others are saying.

Just bought new seals for these yesterday. Going to replace and test for leaks as soon as I get a regulator

Back