refurb old Beermeister - possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatenight

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a Beermeister brand kegerator that I bought used for cheap. I've been using it for a while and it gets cold, but the compressor is too hot to touch and it's kind of noisy. Replacing the compressor is expensive and hard to do. So I was thinking about the possibility of getting a newer mini fridge off CL and taking out the refrigeration system and transplanting it into the Beermeister. Now that I'm saying it, it doesn't sound worth it. But I love my Beermeister (has the cool chrome lever on the side to open it, etc. Would love to give it a second lease on life somehow. Thanks for any suggestions.

**edit** By the way, I just figured out it's a model 40-V...label is missing the model part.

Have you had any luck with your refurb? I just bought an old beer meister today and want to do the same. Any info would be great. Thanks

Haven't spent much time on it yet. Still thinking about doing something with it tho. For now I have my keg in the garage fridge w/ a picnic tap.....not the same. I'm thinking the easiest thing would be to replace the compressor and put in fresh refrigerant. I'll post here what I do.

Just spent a little time on it. I followed these directions: First unplug the refrigerator and remove the start relay off of the side of the compressor. Go to the single pin on the compressor and check to one of the pins that are side by side on the compressor. The run winding will read 1-5 ohms resistance. Then stay on the single pin and go to the other pin. The start winding will read 3-11 ohms resistance. If your readings are out of these ranges, then you have a bad compressor. If they are within these ranges, then you have a bad relay overload.

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros.com...ressor-hot-but-not-running.html#ixzz29wenDXmq
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com

Mine tested 5.3ohms & 17ohms....so my compressor's shot. That sucks.

Have you had any luck with your refurb? I just bought an old beer meister today and want to do the same. Any info would be great. Thanks

Hey BeerPhil, I found a place near me that will replace the compressor for $250 if I supply the compressor. I can't read the label on my compressor to get the specs. Is your model also a 40-V? Can you send me the specs of the compressor in yours?

A neighbor of mine is selling a Beer Meister model 40-V for $450.00 with full size Keg, 2 C02 tanks including kit, pretty much ready to use. Is this a good price since I am interested in purchasing one. It's in good shape with the exception of a little rust at the bottom of the door and sides but overall looks good. Thanks for any input.

Back