Refrigerator Issue...Help Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twtr25

Reaction score
I've got a refrigerator (top freezer style) that is not functioning as it should, and I haven't had any luck figuring out what the issue is. Originally this was to be my kegerator, but instead I bought another larger fridge and converted it instead. In a perfect world, I would just get a thermostat control and use it to lager, but SWMBO doesn't want two refrigerators in the garage :(

So, with that said, I'm wanting to figure out what it's going to take to get this thing running 100% so I can either sell it, or have it recycled (in my town, they will pick-up functioning refrigerators free of charge and give us $50 for them).

Here's the issue...no matter what temperature setting I put it on, EVERYTHING I put into the fridge part freezes solid.

If I can't get it figured out, and someone is interested in this fridge, I would be more than willing to part with it for nothing, local pick-up only.

Could be low on freon. Could have a malfunctioning control on the fan. Having either one checked by a tech will likely cost more than teh $50.

So, why not take the $50? It functions, right?

I think any fridge that freezes everything in the fridge compartment is pretty clearly not low on freon.

I'd immediately suspect the temperature control has gone to Heaven...

Cheers!

I think any fridge that freezes everything in the fridge compartment is pretty clearly not low on freon.

Cheers!

It's been a while since I've checked, but I think I may have already replaced the temperature control and I'm still having the same problem.

It would still work fine with a temp controller. Maybe someone nearby will take it off your hands.

Cheers!

It's a funny thing about refridgeration system with low coolant. They have the ability to over do things sometimes.

Have you never had a coil freeze up cause the system is low on freon?

How do you not know if you replaced it or not?

What I should've said is that I've already replaced one part, which I THINK was the temperature controller, but it could've been something else. It's been a while since I've messed with it or even looked at it, so I'm not 100% sure what part it was.

It's a funny thing about refridgeration system with low coolant. They have the ability to over do things sometimes.

Doesn't matter. If the compressor keeps running while the fridge temperature is well below the control set point, you have to finger the control circuit.

Have you never had a coil freeze up cause the system is low on freon?

Nope. I had an old fridge reach its expiration date with a freon leak that caused the compressor to run endlessly while the fridge section got warmer and warmer and everything in the freezer section melted...

Cheers

Cheers!
Actually, it could be. Especially if it has a chill plate.

Is this a side by side or top freezer?
Is it a self defrost? Cycle defrost?

Try reading the OP's post again...
OK, top freezer but we don't know if it is cycle or self defrost. It can still be a freon leak, a separated suction line, stuck cold control, air damper problem or a few other things like inefficient compressor. Most modern self defrost units sample air temp from the freezer. If the control is set to cycle off at 20F and it only gets to 25F then it will continue to run and freeze things in the lower section.

sounds like it is still functioning. I would call to have it picked up and then plug it in so when they get there it is cold and running

Actually, it could be. Especially if it has a chill plate.

Is this a side by side or top freezer?
Is it a self defrost? Cycle defrost?

This is a top freezer...and as far as the type of defrost, I don't know anything about that so I can't answer that question.

I think I've got a solution though...

Our county offers a refrigerator recycling program where they come pick the unit up for free and give the recycler $35 if there's still money left in the program. I emailed them because their instructions specifically state that the unit has to be functioning. And even after telling them that it turns on and runs, but it freezes everything, they told me that if it's functioning, then they will take it. So, I think that's the route I'm going to go unless somebody on the classifieds wants it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions...I think this fridge has just been more of a headache than anything.

Back