Refrigerator Freezing Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

289tiger

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2 door beverage air display cooler I use to keep my kegs in. Fridge has been in the garage for quite a few years without issue. In the last couple of years the evaporator coil ices up during the hottest summer months during the monsoon season when the humidity kicks up (we're in Arizona). A quick 30 minute defrost temporarily resolves the issue and it cools well again for about a day or day and a half.

Have replaced all of the door seals thinking that humid air was leaking in causing the icing...didn't fix the problem. Also had the refrigerant checked/replaced so that's all good.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing the freeze up or what else to check?

When you cool air you suck the moisture out of it, normally the moisture that is removed condensates on the surface of the coil then runs down that surface to a collector pan, and is drained away/evaporates, but if the air flow is too slow across the cooling coil or (worse) if the coolant is not being distributed properly into the cooling coil (which I guess was checked when replaced) the moisture on the coil can form frost and may build up into a coil icing problem.

So, it can be that the coolant isn't working its way around the coils, or that you've got it stuck right up in the corner of your garage with no air circulating around it. Pull it out from the wall? see what happens? Stick a desk fan next to it pointing behind it ;)

Good luck.

The moisture is coming from somewhere and that somewhere is outside of the cooler. There must be an air leak someplace. The coolant is a gas, not a liquid, so there's no way that it cannot be distributed properly. Does the unit have an automatic defrost cycle and if so, is it operating properly? I would check that first.

The moisture is coming from somewhere and that somewhere is outside of the cooler. There must be an air leak someplace. The coolant is a gas, not a liquid, so there's no way that it cannot be distributed properly. Does the unit have an automatic defrost cycle and if so, is it operating properly? I would check that first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe refrigerators work differently than your central A/C does, but the coolant (freon) is a liquid and becomes a gas after absorbing heat...it then flows to the condenser which compresses it, thereby cooling it, at which point it becomes a liquid again. So, a distribution problem can't be ruled out.

Temperature drops as gas expands, and increases as it is compressed.

In a cooler, the compressor takes the gas and compresses it, making it release heat. This heat is exchanged with the outside atmosphere VIA the "Condenser" coils in back or in the sides. Then it flows to the "Evaporator" coils inside where it expands again, pulling heat into the coolant. And the cycle continues.
The coolant, weather it's R134a, R12, or even ammonia (In big commercial rigs) is in a gaseous state when it passes through the cold side evap coils.

I have the exact same issue with my kegerator. I defrosted the evaporator coils, installed a computer fan that runs all of the time, that keeps the air moving over the evaporator. No more ice.

When you cool air you suck the moisture out of it, normally the moisture that is removed condensates on the surface of the coil then runs down that surface to a collector pan, and is drained away/evaporates, but if the air flow is too slow across the cooling coil or (worse) if the coolant is not being distributed properly into the cooling coil (which I guess was checked when replaced) the moisture on the coil can form frost and may build up into a coil icing problem.

So, it can be that the coolant isn't working its way around the coils, or that you've got it stuck right up in the corner of your garage with no air circulating around it. Pull it out from the wall? see what happens? Stick a desk fan next to it pointing behind it ;)

Good luck.

Thanks. Everything is internal to the cooler...maybe I'll drop a small fan in to circulate air around and see if that keeps the fins dried out.

Air leak was my first thought since the icing is definately related to higher humidity conditions (air inside the cooler shouldn't change if it's fully sealed). THat being said, all of the seals and doors are nice and tight so there's no air leaks that I can find. There is no auto defrost on the cooler.

In a cooler, the compressor takes the gas and compresses it, making it release heat. This heat is exchanged with the outside atmosphere VIA the "Condenser" coils in back or in the sides. Then it flows to the "Evaporator" coils inside where it expands again, pulling heat into the coolant. And the cycle continues.
The coolant, weather it's R134a, R12, or even ammonia (In big commercial rigs) is in a gaseous state when it passes through the cold side evap coils.

I have the exact same issue with my kegerator. I defrosted the evaporator coils, installed a computer fan that runs all of the time, that keeps the air moving over the evaporator. No more ice.

Thanks. Think my next step is a fan over the coils.

on thoes the evaporator fan on the inside runs all the time , does it run all the time on yours?

(snippage)

That's not quite right. This is a bit long, but I hope informative.

The compressor takes refrigerant from the evaporator, which if everything is working right is in the form of a vapor. The compressor takes it from a low pressure vapor to a high pressure vapor, adding heat in the process. Then the high temperature, higs pressure vapor flows through the condenser. The additional heat from the compression cycle is given up to the air outside the unit, cooling it enough to condense into a high pressure liquid. The last few coils in the condenser further cool the liquid (this is called subcooling). The liquid refrigerant, still under high pressure, is routed through the liquid lineto the refrigerant control, which meters the flow of refrigerant into the evaporator. The refrigerant control can be as simple as a length of capillary tubing (this is the case in most domestic refrigerators), or a compicated as a Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV or TEV). It is the refrigerant control that maintains the pressure differential between the liquid line and the evaporator, and this differential is critical. As the refrigerant is metered into the evaporator, it is still in liquid form. As the liquid flows through lower pressure of the evap coils, it absorbs heat, and as the pressure has been lowered, the boiling point of the liquid refrigerant is also lowered, and the refrigerant boils, changing state from a liquid to a vapor. As the refrigerant vapor passes through the last coils of the evap, it gains even more heat (this is called superheat. The vapor is then drawn back to the compressor via the suction line.

Depending on the type of refrigerant contol, either the superheat or subcooling can be measured to determine if the system contains the correct amount of refrigerant, and also if there are problems with the refrigerant control, evaporator or condenser. A low charge condition can contribute to icing, but is usually not the main cause, and you already has that checked.

Icing the evaporator is usually caused by insufficient airflow across the evap coil. Granted, a tight door seal will minimize the amount of moisture in the air inside the cabinet, but if there is sufficient airflow over the coil the moisture should simply condense and drain. Commercial units such as this are usually set-up with the evap fan running continuously, and the cycling compressor is controlled by a pressure switch connected to the suction line. As the sensed temp drops, so does the suction line pressure, and when the pressure reaches the corresponding desired temp, the switch opens and de-energizes the compressor, but the evap fan keeps running. As the temp inside the cabinet rises, so does the suction line pressure, until the switch closes and energizes the compressor, repeating the cycle.

OK, so back to your problem. I think there are 2 likely suspects here:

1. The evap fan motor may be going bad. They can overheat, causing intermittent operation. When cool, they start and run, but then they heat up and shut off, which of course will lead to big-time icing.

2. Do you have this thing running on an external (override) t-stat like a JC or Ranco? If so, you probably need to connect the evap fan to non-switched power. With an external stat, the power is cut to everything at the same time. The problem with that is that liquid refrigerant will continue to be metered into the evap for quite a few seconds after the fan has stopped, and the result is that a small amount of ice will form at the end of each cycle. Another option would be to run the fan on a delay-on-break timer (again requiring unswitched power), so that it runs 30-60 seconds after the compressor stops.

That's not quite right. This is a bit long, but I hope informative.

The compressor takes refrigerant from the evaporator, which if everything is working right is in the form of a vapor. The compressor takes it from a low pressure vapor to a high pressure vapor, adding heat in the process. Then the high temperature, higs pressure vapor flows through the condenser. The additional heat from the compression cycle is given up to the air outside the unit, cooling it enough to condense into a high pressure liquid. The last few coils in the condenser further cool the liquid (this is called subcooling). The liquid refrigerant, still under high pressure, is routed through the liquid lineto the refrigerant control, which meters the flow of refrigerant into the evaporator. The refrigerant control can be as simple as a length of capillary tubing (this is the case in most domestic refrigerators), or a compicated as a Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV or TEV). It is the refrigerant control that maintains the pressure differential between the liquid line and the evaporator, and this differential is critical. As the refrigerant is metered into the evaporator, it is still in liquid form. As the liquid flows through lower pressure of the evap coils, it absorbs heat, and as the pressure has been lowered, the boiling point of the liquid refrigerant is also lowered, and the refrigerant boils, changing state from a liquid to a vapor. As the refrigerant vapor passes through the last coils of the evap, it gains even more heat (this is called superheat. The vapor is then drawn back to the compressor via the suction line.

Depending on the type of refrigerant contol, either the superheat or subcooling can be measured to determine if the system contains the correct amount of refrigerant, and also if there are problems with the refrigerant control, evaporator or condenser. A low charge condition can contribute to icing, but is usually not the main cause, and you already has that checked.

Icing the evaporator is usually caused by insufficient airflow across the evap coil. Granted, a tight door seal will minimize the amount of moisture in the air inside the cabinet, but if there is sufficient airflow over the coil the moisture should simply condense and drain. Commercial units such as this are usually set-up with the evap fan running continuously, and the cycling compressor is controlled by a pressure switch connected to the suction line. As the sensed temp drops, so does the suction line pressure, and when the pressure reaches the corresponding desired temp, the switch opens and de-energizes the compressor, but the evap fan keeps running. As the temp inside the cabinet rises, so does the suction line pressure, until the switch closes and energizes the compressor, repeating the cycle.

OK, so back to your problem. I think there are 2 likely suspects here:

1. The evap fan motor may be going bad. They can overheat, causing intermittent operation. When cool, they start and run, but then they heat up and shut off, which of course will lead to big-time icing.

2. Do you have this thing running on an external (override) t-stat like a JC or Ranco? If so, you probably need to connect the evap fan to non-switched power. With an external stat, the power is cut to everything at the same time. The problem with that is that liquid refrigerant will continue to be metered into the evap for quite a few seconds after the fan has stopped, and the result is that a small amount of ice will form at the end of each cycle. Another option would be to run the fan on a delay-on-break timer (again requiring unswitched power), so that it runs 30-60 seconds after the compressor stops.

Much easier to understand with greater detail :) Thank you!

Back