Refrigerating beer before drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordnthoms

Reaction score
Why do I see so many people mentioning refrigerating beer in between bottle conditioning and drinking? Does it have some effect of which I am not aware?

Makes the yeasties drop to the bottom of the bottle so you pour a clean beer... Not an absolute necessity but many like to do it...

I've found that 2 weeks cold conditioning eliminates chill haze and makes my bottled ales sparkling clear. So I bought a small fridge that holds 2 cases that I use specifically for cold conditioning.

Actually, the biggest issue is that cooling your beer in the fridge for several days allows more CO2 to be absorbed into the liquid, so that it doesn't foam excessively, which would cause the carbonation level to be artificially lowered.

Chill the beer to make it stay carbonated, in other words.

Actually, the biggest issue is that cooling your beer in the fridge for several days allows more CO2 to be absorbed into the liquid, so that it doesn't foam excessively, which would cause the carbonation level to be artificially lowered.

Chill the beer to make it stay carbonated, in other words.

Very nice. I didn't know that about carbonation. You hear/read so much about carbing at 70*F and you tend to think that warmer is necessary for the duration but it makes sense to chill it once the CO2 is produced so it gets reabsorbed into the beer more efficiently...

I learn something new everyday! :mug:

CO2 absorption is not like keging because the CO2 is produced in the beer and not the head space. Once there is some pressure it all stays in the beer. Cooling it helps very little.

I like to crash the yeast out in secondary and add a better bottling strain. I usually have complete carbonation in less than a week.

CO2 absorption is not like keging because the CO2 is produced in the beer and not the head space. Once there is some pressure it all stays in the beer. Cooling it helps very little.

I like to crash the yeast out in secondary and add a better bottling strain. I usually have complete carbonation in less than a week.

what do you usually use for a bottling yeast? I would like to have fully carbed beers in a week.

what do you usually use for a bottling yeast? I would like to have fully carbed beers in a week.

I use T-58. That and S-33 are recommended by Fermentis for bottle conditioning. It only takes a gram or so per five gallons. Nottingham is also a good choice. I try to keep mine just over 70F and after three days almost all of mine have the expected amount of carbonation and very little sediment. Over 7% ABV take a week or more. Even the ones that carb in three days taste better after a week or two but they do not gain any CO2.

Back