Refreshing equipment that hasnt been used in 10-20 years old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyJames

Reaction score
Ever get so much equipment in once that you don't know where to start?

I found a sweet deal locally and am picking up the following on the weekend:

5 5gal ball lock cornies
2 5gal pin lock cornies
2 10gal ball lock cornies

2 20lb CO2 tanks
Hoses, regulators, taps
Immersion Cooler
Stainless steel vessel used for sparging...
2.5 gal carboy
Boxes of Misc Crap.
Grain Mill (looks like a corona)

BeerStuff.JPG

All for 150$ and the seller is driving 7 hours to get it to me (he lived 8 hours away but was coming in this direction)

Any idea how to recondition a copper wort cooler if its heavily oxidized?

I'll probably pitch all of the tubing/beer lines etc. and my guess is that the tanks wont pass a hydro-test but hopefully i could get some sort of trade in for them...

Yes, I believe people will be hating on you for some time.
Nice Score!
The best I've found so far is a 40qt HD Lincoln stock pot in some used stuff we brought in. I hope it didn't get dented when it fell off the back of the truck...

I do not mind the hating as long as i get some answers too!

I've silently hated many people on this forum as I was trolling the internet for equipment.

This was a fun item to find, as the seller forgot to post any contact information.... so I had to do a little social engineering/computer magic to find out how to get a hold of him...

Nice guy though, quite happy to have this out of his garage as he hasnt brewed in 10+ years.

I use a cup of 4% white vinegar per gallon of water. Wouldn't hurt to fill the inside as well.

Just use straight white vinegar

"For routine cleaning of copper and other metals, percarbonate-based cleaners like PBW are the best choice. For heavily oxidized conditions, acetic acid is very effective, especially when hot. Acetic acid is available in grocery stores as white distilled vinegar at a standard concentration of 5% acetic acid by volume. It is important to use only white distilled vinegar as opposed to cider or wine vinegar because these other types may contain live acetobacteria cultures, which are the last thing you want in your beer."

as per John Palmer

But really since the IC gets thrown into the boil no bacteria from the vinegar will live.

I would forgo trying to clean an IC and sell or trade the pinlocks for a new chiller. This is post boil and you dont know how corroded the inside is. Yeah you could clean it but why? This is one of the most important steps other than ferm temp control to getting a good beer.

I would forgo trying to clean an IC and sell or trade the pinlocks for a new chiller. This is post boil and you dont know how corroded the inside is. Yeah you could clean it but why? This is one of the most important steps other than ferm temp control to getting a good beer.

I believe the OP scored an immersion chiller, I would have no problen cleaning it and tossing it in the boil to sanitze it, no?

Just clean it and check for leaks, the boil will take care of other issues.

I think ultimatly it will depend on how it looks, I'll try a soak in some starsan or vinager/water and then run some water through it.... if the water runs clear, it shouldnt be overly corroded internally..

I will as soon as I pick this equipment up on sunday evening.

Trying to find a good deal on a donor fridge/chest freezer to make good use of all of this.

any corrosion would lessen its efficiency. ICs are cheap and easy to make, why chance it.

Well i guess I am cheap! Just kidding, but IMO the beauty of copper is that it lasts a long, long time. IMHO i would guess it is fine. Post some good pics if you care to.

Lady liberty is copper and she is still looking pretty good out in the harbor.

any corrosion would lessen its efficiency. ICs are cheap and easy to make, why chance it.

Well i guess I am cheap! Just kidding, but IMO the beauty of copper is that it lasts a long, long time. IMHO i would guess it is fine. The insid of the chiller will be sanitary after the boil anywho should it leak, which i doubt it will. Post some good pics if you care to.

Lady liberty is copper and she is still looking pretty good out in the harbor.

Back