refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
I just purchased a refractometer from northern brewer it's the one with dual scale brix and gravity.... my question is it you can only use it and get accurate readings before fermentation. .. and you have to use the olé hydrometer for FL correct?

I just purchased a refractometer from northern brewer it's the one with dual scale brix and gravity.... my question is it you can only use it and get accurate readings before fermentation. .. and you have to use the olé hydrometer for FL correct?

Mostly true in that alcohol throws off the refraction of light for the given scale. There are websites that will adjust for this but you need your OG and starting Brix as an input. This one Sean Terrill is pretty accurate.

Ok. Now the question is would you rather use a hydrometer for fg or a refractometer and use the converter?

The hydrometer is the tool for FG in my opinion. Don't you want to drink a sample of your beer before bottling/kegging?

I use a refractometer for pre and post boil OG prior to pitching yeast and a hydrometer for FG.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a refractometer for pre and post boil OG prior to pitching yeast and a hydrometer for FG.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's what I think I'm going to do. Brewed a October fest ale yesterday and used it and loved it today I'm doing the new imperial red ale from northern brewer

Back