Refractometer woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellshooter

Reaction score
Ok I've been using a refractometer for my unfermented wort for about 4 brews now. I can't seem to get a correct reading. I checked calibration prior and after and it reads zero with tap water.

Today I brewed a kit and took a sample after the wort had set in the carboy for over three hours. I got 11.4, too low, since the line wasn't sharp I opened the tool and smeared the wort around on the plate a little better. After I closed it it read 12.4, which should be about right for the expected gravity. But I found that by opening and closing the tool three more times and re smearing the sample the reading kept climbing each time and finally settled at 14. That is way too high for the amount of sugar in the wort.

So am I doing something wrong or is this thing a waste of money. I kinda wanted to know what the OG was.

Do you have a hydrometer to check it against? What about your temps? Most refractometers will self adjust over a small range. If the range is too far out, the readings begin to suffer.

Yep I have a hydrometer, but if I have to check with a hydrometer to see if the refractometer is correct, then having a refractometer is a waste of money and time.

The temp was about 78.

Back