Refractometer Vs my Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of AHS sam summer clone. My Refractometer was saying 1.022-25 after two weeks, waited another week and still the same. I thought damn it stalled before it was finished, I checked it with my Hydrometer today and it was right where it was supposed to be 1.012-15. WTF? I went back and forth several times with the same sample and still the same results. And yes I calibrated the Brix over and over. They say that equipment is only as good as the operator but I have to question the accuracy of this refractometer.

thoughts?

Did you use More Beers spreadsheet when entering the Brix? You have to take the first reading before fermentation, then enter the readings in the spreadsheet. The alcohol throws off the refractometers.

The refractometer reading is thrown off by the alcohol in the beer. You have to do a conversion if you want to use it to take readings after fermentation begins. There are online calculators or most beer software has this function.

Even with the calculators its not exacting for FG...its good to use to get a general idea where you are at, but I use a hydrometer to record my actual FG before kegging.

No I used the .004 rule. and a chart I found online. I'll have to look up the chart you guys are talking about tomorrow unless you have a quick link. I knew I wasn't crazy here I wasn't expecting a solution this fast. I wish I could buy you guys a drink. Thanks!:mug:

I don't know which one I have on my computer at home, but I am very nearly DEAD ON when I plug my refractometer reading into it when compared directly against my hydrometer (both checked and calibrated).

Latest posts

Back