Refractometer Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I am getting inconsistent readings on my ATC refractometer. On my last brew day, I put hot wort on the refractometer and checked the gravity. I then let the refractometer sit for about 1 minute and checked it again. My gravity changed significantly. IIRC, it went from about 1.047 to 1.053.

I have had similar trouble with the refractometer in the past, but this was the first time I have brewed outside on a cold day. I think it just magnified the problem. It has also been VERY difficult to read at times due to the blue line being fuzzy.

So am I doing something wrong? Is hot wort on the refractometer a no-no? I checked the receipt, and it is an ATC refractometer (I assume it stands for automatic temperature correction).

Do I need a new refractometer?

Thanks.

I may be wrong, but the change in gravity may have been the refractometer adjusting to the correct temperature. You are correct, ATC is temperature correction, and I believe you have to let the sample sit on the lens for a bit to correct.

Same issue here brewing in the cold garage. Next time I will let the sample sit a bit and check it a few times.

+1 - the way the ATC corrects temperature is simply that the glass prism is a much bigger mass than the little drop of liquid you put on it, so it normalizes the temperature very quickly...like in less than a minute. So the ATC is not instantaneous, and the second reading is what you should be looking at.

Now one thing I do not know is whether the reading will be thrown off at low ambient (and therefore presumably low prism) temperatures.

BTW, the refractometer eyepiece should have a twisty end that you should be able to use to dial in the focus, doesn't it? Kinda like binoculars?

Leave the refractometer in your house if the garage is very cold. Put the drops of wort onto the prism and then let it adjust for a few minutes before taking a reading. Refractometers like the hand-held wine/brewing ones don't actually "correct" anything, they just have use a very small amount of liquid so the drops reach the temperature of the prism very quickly when in contact with it. But its still not instantaneous.

Thanks for the help guys. I will use smaller amounts of liquid, keep the refractometer at "normal" temps, and give it a minute or two to stabilize.

BTW, the refractometer eyepiece should have a twisty end that you should be able to use to dial in the focus, doesn't it? Kinda like binoculars?

I can get the numbers in focus, but the blue line isn't effected by the focus. It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the blue line is totally crisp, sometimes I am just estimating the og because the line is so blurry. I haven't figured out the common denominator. Based on this thread, I would guess it is user error. Maybe using less liquid will help???

I work with refractometers constantly measuring coolant at work. The two biggest reasons you will see a fuzzy line instead of a crisp line is a) there's too much oil in your coolant! [not likely the problem here] or b) your prism has dirt or oil from your fingers on it. The amount needed to get it dirty is ridiculously small; you should always keep a microfiber cloth with the refrac and wipe the prism just before use.

Keep it warm, clean, and calibrated and you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Also, I know it seems obvious, but don't forget to clean the little plastic flap as well... since it comes in direct contact with the prism.

Back