Refractometer issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Bird

Reaction score
So I have brewed three batches after an 8 year break. I broke my glass hydrometer so have been using the refractometer that came with my equipment purchased from Craigslist seller. I was wary from the readings after my first brew back before I broke my hydrometer. I used both and couldn't get them to agree. Yesterday I had a friend co-brewing and he had a refractometer so perfect chance to see if they agreed. I am taking a lot of readings as I am trying to dial in my system. I am brewing Lagunitas Little Sumpin clone 1.070 OG. Here are my readings:

First Runnings 1.064
Second Runnings 1.041
Pre-boil 1.052

I had my buddy check my Pre-boil with his refrac and he got the same reading. All readings were taken from small samples poured into a shot glass and allowed to cool down.

For my post boil, I ran a bit off the valve of the boil kettle before chilling, let cool and it was 1.052. Can't be right. decided to let it all cool and take reading after chilling. I lost my dropper(started drinking a bit earlier than I usually allow myself on brew day). I dipped my thermometer in the fermentor before pitching and let that drop on the refrac. 1.052 wtf! I then thiefed a small sample, 1.052! My pre-boils were just below target of 1.054 verified by second refrac. Now it is chugging away so I guess I am not going to know my OG.

I did top off my pre-boil volume with only about 1 quart of water after refrac to about 7.75 gal and boiled down to 6.5 gal. I just noticed that my BrewCipher sheet assumed post boil at 6 gal. I did 6.5 to account for boil kettle deadspace, which I have set a 0.5 gal in the sheet. Not sure if the sheet considers post-boil volume after draining kettle or before and if my reading is an extra half gallon thin (plus the .25 gal I added pre-boil) and is bringing down my OG or what.

I use a refractometer throughout the brew process, as they are super handy at taking quick readings, but for every critical reading (OG, FG, pre-boil etc) I use my Hydrometer, as I dont trust the refrac entirely.

Reading on this forum, others calibrate their Refrac's against their hydro's at the OG they will be working at (i.e. 1.056) while also keeping in mind that the colour of the wort can effect the reading as well.

They are a great tool, but imo should never replace a hydro

Latest posts

Back