Refinishing a barrel while keeping usable for homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_A

Reaction score
A while back I picked up a 15 gallon used rye barrel, and aged an imperial stout in it. I've since racked the stout out. My wedding is coming up on Halloween, and my fiancé suggested we paint the keg black, or sand it down to remove any distillery markings, and then have people sign it with markers as a sort of guest book.

I really like the idea, but I also really like the idea of being able to age another beer in that barrel! I'd even like to put a batch in there shortly after the wedding to have as an anniversary brew (not that I'd keep it in the barrel a whole year).

So, first question is will painting the barrel likely give me off flavors if I used it to age beer? I figured the whiskey and the beer only penetrate so far into the wood, as would the paint.

Second question, if paint won't work are there any other methods that would? Does sanding the outside of the barrel damage it or cause risks?

I would not paint or finish the barrel. The wood is supposed to breathe.

Sanding it and writing on it with markers might be the worst I'd do to it.

Back