Refinishing 1950's Hotpoint Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmangini19

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but have been a long time homebrewer. I have been in the market for a vintage fridge to convert to a kegerator as I am tired of bottling. I was EXTREMELY fortunate to find a 1950's Hotpoint refrigerator that was already converted ($70 on CL). It has some rusting but runs perfect.

I am looking to do new paint job along, add a second tap and add custom drip tray.

I have looked through the forum and saw a few others that converted Hotpoints. I was hoping for some inspiration from the forum on the paint job...colors patterns decals...

I included a picture of my hotpoint as well as a "Hops" decal I was thinking of adding. Additionally I included a picture of a fellow forum member's (ppeck1) Hotpoint conversion. I like this pattern but would like to use more bold/bright colors for mine. I'm open to other designs as well.

Looking for suggestions and tips on this project!!! Thanks for any advice. I will be posting photos of the progress once I get started.

Let me know what you think.

4090fbd64f662279cfa6ee2cb796c35d.jpg

il_570xN.475807279_3cl9.jpg

6869779588_96a4200258_b.jpg

If it was me i would go with a simple design similar to the finished one you posted, but with some brighter or warmer colors. For me i think the beauty of these vintage fridges is in their lines and rounded almost vintage car like styling. I think adding a big decal would take away from that, but this is just my opinion.

Congrats on the nice CL find!

Ya that is what I have been thinking. The decal isn't set in stone. I'm more concerned with getting the colors right and if the decal works then great but it it detracts from the vintage look I will scrap it.

I am leaning towards a bright firehouse red as the primary color but am more of a visual person so I was hoping to see what others have done.

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

Back