Reduction of Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimney

Reaction score
Somehow, someway I've ended up with only 3.5 gallons after transferring to secondary. I think it's a combination of my 5 gal. mark on my primary carboy possibly being wrong and not wanting to grab any sediment while racking, thus leaving a good bit in the primary. This is my first brew so this might be a stupid question. Should I reduce my priming sugar from 5 oz. to 3.5 oz.?

The sediment will stay on the bottom pretty well as long as you don't jostle it up right before racking. For example, I used to have to carry the carboy up a flight of stairs from the basement in order to rack in my kitchen. I would bring it up at minimum an hour before I planned to rack, even better the previous day. That lets all the stuff I shook up settle back down. Then you can quite literally skim off the surface of the trub and take all the good beer. Tipping the carboy helps quite a bit as well. Also, get an auto-siphon. Worth its weight in gold. Its end is designed to sit just above the trub level so it grabs as much beer as is possible to get.

Latest posts

Back