Reducing or making a thicker cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nike123

Reaction score
Is there anyway to reduce my homebrew cider to a thicker/syrup form for cooking. If not how can I make my cider thicker during fermentation, similar to the consistency of cooking oil or thicker spirits like galliano?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Home Brew mobile app

Also I would like to keep as much alchole as possible

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Home Brew mobile app

With hard cider, I don't think it can happen. There's little if any sugar left after fermentation. You'd have better luck with unfermented cider if you're trying to get something like a syrup.

I think someone has suggested fermenting apple juice concentrate. That would be syrupy, but I can't imagine it would taste very good. You'd be better off just putting vodka into thawed concentrate.

Scrumpy is a thinker cider, JK's Scrumpy for example is pretty thick. Not sure how its done though, would like to know!

I would consider JKs as having "body" and not so much thick like syrup. I think it's a tasty cider, albeit on the sweet side.

I would consider JKs as having "body" and not so much thick like syrup. I think it's a tasty cider, albeit on the sweet side.

I wouldn't say its syrup thick, but the same body as a normal fresh pressed cider. As for the sweetness I found that very disappointing, from what I've read scrumpys are not supposed to be sweet.

I believe their web site says something like Artisan Michigan Farmhouse Cider. Between English and Normandy? I confess I've only ever had the Winteruption and it was on the sweet side. Maybe the others aren't as sweet.

Alcohol evaporates at about 137F, so if you're cooking anything with it, the alcohol is going to disappear anyway.

Latest posts

Back