Reducing batch size? Hop amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slickshoes

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm converting 5 gal recipe to a 2.5 gallon. The 5 gal calls for 2 oz of hops how much should I use? I'm a bit confused as my hops have a bit less AA. The 5 gal recipe has 17 ibu's. My recipe comes out to 20.2 using a about a half ounce less?

You can halve the hops. It won't be perfect but it'll do. If you have a beer calculator such as BeerSmith it'll automatically do these adjustments.
Not sure I understand your IBU question. Does your 2.5 gallon batch have 20 IBU from 1.5oz of hops? Utilization will vary with batch size, and you most likely won't notice 3 IBU anyway. What style of beer is it? Kyle

using half the hops will be perfectly drinkable.

if you want you can use something like beersmith, or ibrewmaster, and figure out the EXACT amount for the IBU's you want to achieve.

i brew only 1 gallon batches, so i'm always "down-sizing" recipes... the only thing that doesn't easily scale down is yeast.

Thanks for the response
I am brewing an amber ale ibu's should be 48
5 gal calls for
0.5 oz Centennial, 10% AA 60 min
1.0 oz Mt. Hood, 7% AA 30 min
1.0 oz Willamette, 5% AA 15 min

Right now for my 1 gal recipe I have 44.3 ibu
.10 oz 40 min
.17 oz 30 min
.20 oz 12 min
Does this look close?

Thanks, do you think these hops will work well with an amber ale? I have little experience and I am going off mainly hop descriptions, until I acually smell n taste each hop, I'm just kinda building blindly.

Back