Reduce Mash Tun Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do a bunch of "mini-batches" (~3G) in my 15G Blichmann Mash Tun but obviously that's going to be an issue.

So the question I ask is, has anyone ever reduced the size of their MLT using say 2L soda bottles?

I know this used to be the "green" way to reduce your toilet's GPF (that or using a brick in a Freezer bag, but I just don't think that idea bodes well with me)

I figure I can displace about 1-1.5G of water with each bottle. So 2 bottles + the 5G of mash would be about at the 8G mark which is well in the 15G MLT usable zone.

Thoughts?/Comments?/Concerns?

plastics can get nasty at mash temps. Many plastics will release toxic chemicals above 120F

Have you considered brew in a bag for these small batches? It's quick, easy and can make some great beer.

I agree that brew in a bag is probably the way to go if you are only mashing a few pounds of grain. A nylon bag costs ~$3-4 at the paint/hardware store and it should fit over the lip of a smaller stock pot.

Latest posts

Back