Redneck cousin of the son of the fermenter chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewiley36

Reaction score
ok so I had been having issues with my first brew batch, a hard apple cider, trying to keep the temp alone my room would range from 70-80 degrees, tried a fan blowing on it coming directly from the ac vent no go.... as most of you know 72 would be ok for a good brew if maintained, so I did the redneck thing and built a chamber for keeping it cool, since it is in the house I wont have to worry about heating it just cooling it, I made the chamber big enough to fit 2 maybe 3 of my current bottling/fermenting buckets in the bucket is a 7.8 gallon bucket and measures about 15" across and about 18" tall with air lock, so I measured it to be about 5'x20" inside with a 1'x20" chamber for ice to cool air for fan.
I used about 1 2/3 sheets of 4'x8' 2" thick foam about 8 dowel pins, and the redneck part 2 rolls of duct tape! currently have 2 gallon size bags of ice in the "ice chamber" and its already reading an ambient temp of 69 after only 15 minutes from 75 when I put the ice and wort in... the fan is one of the O2cool 8" fans set on low from Wal-mart! I don't have my temp controller in yet till tomorrow
current cost of materials:
Lowes
2" foam board from 2@ $26.98
Dowel pins (for lid) 8pcs $1.98

Walmart
Duct tape 2@ $3.00
Fan $15.88
Electric box (for plug socket) $1.47
Wall Plug socket $0.57
wall plate cover $0.37

Amazon
Elitech temp controller $16.64 (plus shipping)

fermentation-chamber-8358.html

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image.jpeg

That is a good build.

Duct tape has nothing to do with Rednecks. It used used by handymen and women from the south of Texas to way north of Possum Lodge.

Not to be critical, but what about any condensation on the surface of the bags as the ice melts? Are they in a pan or just on the bottom of the chamber?
I was on a racing team where Duct Tape was used as both a structural member as well as RedNeck Chrome. I'm still surprised that MacGyver didn't use more duct tape.

Not to be critical, but what about any condensation on the surface of the bags as the ice melts? Are they in a pan or just on the bottom of the chamber?
I was on a racing team where Duct Tape was used as both a structural member as well as RedNeck Chrome. I'm still surprised that MacGyver didn't use more duct tape.

Double bagged, but the bags are just temporary until I have my gallon jugs frozen, will most likely throw a towel in to soak up any condensation as needed since I will be checking the ice chamber at least once a day

It's also known as racer tape & 200MPH tape. Just sayin'...:mug:

When did it gain to 200mph, when I was in the service it was only rated at 100mph lol but then again that tape was not very tacky but a half a roll would secure a newbie in his sleeping bag for some time lol and a few old NCOs to the howitzer tube for a few primer shots lol ahh the memories !

When did it gain to 200mph, when I was in the service it was only rated at 100mph lol but then again that tape was not very tacky but a half a roll would secure a newbie in his sleeping bag for some time lol and a few old NCOs to the howitzer tube for a few primer shots lol ahh the memories !

Watch the movie Funny Car Summer about Big Jim Dunn & his rear engine Barracuda funny car. I saw the race shown in the movie when he got up to speed (close to 200!) & the top sheared off! They used duct tape, Coke cans & pop rivets to fix it between rounds. The new windshield was held in by duct tape alone! He calls it 200MPH tape in the movie when he explains what they're trying to do to stay in the race! He was using so much Nitro that he called it "his little 7-second hand grenade"! Balls of steel! I love the sound & smell of rice crispies on steroids in the morning! :rockin: Man, how I miss what AA/FC used to be...ah, the memories! Here's part one;

Last edited by a moderator:
Lewiley, your chamber looks high-dollar compared to mine! I couldn't find 2" insulation anywhere local, so I used 3/4" pink foam board with a double layer of the "bubble wrap" insulation inside. Taped it all up with aluminized duct tape.

EA357E44-DAA1-4EDC-B298-E2B6E7E247FE_zpsz5t7yqqa.jpg

Low-tech inside as well. Two frozen water bottles will keep an already-chilled carboy at 64-66. I change them morning and evening.

F140726F-AC50-4F77-B620-AF65F4A1C313_zpsh2vhjbqf.jpg

The foam board was $12 a sheet I think, $9 for the tape and $25-ish for the bubble insulation.

Back