RedHook Long Hammer IPA Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replace 2 pounds of the extract with 2 1/2 pounds of munich and 1/2 pound of crystal 10. Mash the grains in 1 gallon for 30 minutes at 153* (preheating the water to 167*F and dropping in the grains it should settle around 153*) and sparge with 170* water. It won't be a perfect match but I'll bet it makes good beer and the color should be pretty close.

Excellent! I definately want to try this! :mug:

Question on this - playing with the numbers in Beersmith - aiming for 8.3 SRM (as Redhook states on their site) led me to 5 lb Pale (2-row). 5 lbs Munich, .5 lb Caramel/Crystal 10L - Same hop schedule as Yuri - I haven't played enough with mixing varying amounts on Munich yet - any idea how adjusting the pale and munich this way would turn out?

And this needs ~86% attenuation (and Redhook describes a dry crisp finish) - would that call for a mash ~148-ish?

I for one like Longhammer - and these hops (along with Centennial and Amarillo) are going to be my staples for a little while...I'm going to give this a try but would love to hear what I should expect (other than 'good beer' :D )

The Long Hammer bottles I've tried seems to be more bitter than just 30 something IBUs. Is everyone in agreement that it should have about this amount and not more? Maybe it's just because it is a light bodied beer, so the bitterness is accentuated - but it always seemed much more bitter and hoppy when i've had it.

I don't mean to bring up an old post, but what types of yeast have people tried with this? I have heard that Red Hook uses the Pacific Ale strain of yeast, but was curious to know what people have tried. This is definitely going into my log as something to brew in the coming months and would like to have an idea of what you all have tried for yeasts and how closely it resembles the actual Longhammer.

The Long Hammer bottles I've tried seems to be more bitter than just 30 something IBUs. Is everyone in agreement that it should have about this amount and not more? Maybe it's just because it is a light bodied beer, so the bitterness is accentuated - but it always seemed much more bitter and hoppy when i've had it.

Their website lists it as 44.0 IBUs.

Redhook.com

Ah, ok. I didn't know there was such a thing as an 'IIPA'. I just assumed IPAs run high ABV than your typical Pale Ale, so I counted it as having a higher ABV. But I agree, it is whatever one classifies as high.
Hey, while you highbrows discuss class of beer, which is completely useless, does anyone know of a long hammer clone? I rather like it. Sorry its not russian river or anniversary ale. Gosh, do you guys ever let up or is it always about "what is the most obscure beer I can mention......."

i've searched and the recipe listed early in this thread is the best example i can find for a clone.

I've been going over this thread and I'm wondering if there was ever any consensus as to the most appropriate yeasts for a longhammer clone?

I have US-05 and Wy1056 on hand, but Nottingham should be easy to dig up.

Is there a liquid equivalent to Nottingham?

The most plausible one would be White labs Pacific Ale, since this is known to be the redhook's strain.

This yeast is more similar to an English and will produce fair amount of esters and dyacetly (redhook's esb is full of it).

Ferment at low temp (65F or less) with big starter..

That is if you want to perfectly nail your clone... Otherwise go with the predictable california ale you have on hand.. it will probably turn out better than trying to fiddle with a new yeast..

The most plausible one would be White labs Pacific Ale, since this is known to be the redhook's strain.

This yeast is more similar to an English and will produce fair amount of esters and dyacetly (redhook's esb is full of it).

Ferment at low temp (65F or less) with big starter..

That is if you want to perfectly nail your clone... Otherwise go with the predictable california ale you have on hand.. it will probably turn out better than trying to fiddle with a new yeast..

That may be the case for ESB, but I'm not convinced that they aren't using something else in Longhammer. The flavor profile seems different, but I admit I don't know enough to really know the difference. But I do know that LH is pretty danged clean and dry and I don't get the vibe of malt/fruit of an Americanized English yeast unless the recipe just suppresses it?

I have no hard evidence that they use the same yeast for the IPA but I believe they have only one "house" strain.. At least, that would be my guess..

That is why I recommend a low fermentation temp of 65F (the lower end of the recommended range).

Plus, mash for high-fermentability / dryness. This should help the attenuation.

you made the recipe yuri posted, yeah? is that what you used?

I used Nottingham - a good yeast as well, but I personally think US-05 or 1056 are a little cleaner. Plus, with some of the recent issues with Nottingham, I haven't really bought it anymore.

Like smashed (and others) said, the key is a low mash temp, maybe adding some dextrose to boil, to really dry this one out. Longhammer is a really dry IPA, which is why I like it so much.

Yuri, how did you post this?

In the spirit of keeping this thread on track, here's my shot in the dark. It's simply based on the above info and a little experience. I don't know how closely it will compare with Longhammer, but I bet it'll make a fine IPA.

longhammer.jpg

I was looking for a Longhammer clone and came across this thread. I made this based on Yuri's original clone recipe. Much props to Yuri on the legwork.

Red Hook Longhammer Clone
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale US-05
Yeast Starter: No, but I rehydrated
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 43.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 24 Days at 64 degrees

Grain Bill

8 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
3 lbs Munich Malt
10 oz Crystal 40L Malt

Hops

0.25 oz (7 g) Magnum [14.40%] (60 min)
0.25 oz (7 g) Warrior [15.80%] (60 min)
0.14 oz (4 g) Nugget [13.00%] (60 min)
0.14 oz (4 g) Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz (28 g) Williamette [4.50%] (10 min)
1.00 oz (28 g) Cascade [5.40%] (5 min)
1.00 oz (28 g) Cascade [5.40%] (Dry Hop 3 days)

Other

Whirfloc @ 15 min.

Mash

Single infusion for 75 minutes at 150*
Strike: 14.5 qts
Batch Sparge: 19 qts

Notes

Hops - Longhammer uses the "Alchemy Hops". From what I was able to research, it's a mixture of Millenium, Horizon, and Warror. I couldn't get any Millenium or Horizon hops. Since Millenium is a cross-breed of Nugget and Columbus, I subbed those two in. I used Magnum in place of Horizon since I had some on hand. Someone in a HBT thread on Alchemy hops mentioned they detected a hint of Summit - If I make this again, I'm going with 5g (.21 oz) of Summit in place of the Magnum.

How Close Is It?

I've never had a clone come out "spot on", but this was the closest I've come to actually cloning a beer (guess it helps when I, you know, actually hit my numbers). The color and body were nearly identical, but mine was little hazier than the commercial version. The taste and aroma were really, really close. Even going slow and low, I didn't get the kind of attenuation Red Hook gets, so the ABV was lower. The true test was SWMBO: She loves Longhammer. And boy, did she like this. I think she drank most of it.

I was looking for a Longhammer clone and came across this thread. I made this based on Yuri's original clone recipe. Much props to Yuri on the legwork.

Grain Bill

8 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
3 lbs Munich Malt
10 oz Crystal 40L Malt

Hops

Other

Whirfloc @ 15 min.

Mash

Notes

Hops - Longhammer uses the "Alchemy Hops". From what I was able to research, it's a mixture of Millenium, Horizon, and Warror. I couldn't get any Millenium or Horizon hops. Since Millenium is a cross-breed of Nugget and Columbus, I subbed those two in. I used Magnum in place of Horizon since I had some on hand. Someone in a HBT thread on Alchemy hops mentioned they detected a hint of Summit - If I make this again, I'm going with 5g (.21 oz) of Summit in place of the Magnum.

How Close Is It?

I've never had a clone come out "spot on", but this was the closest I've come to actually cloning a beer (guess it helps when I, you know, actually hit my numbers). The color and body were nearly identical, but mine was little hazier than the commercial version. The taste and aroma were really, really close. Even going slow and low, I didn't get the kind of attenuation Red Hook gets, so the ABV was lower. The true test was SWMBO: She loves Longhammer. And boy, did she like this. I think she drank most of it.

how did this turn out?

Fabulous. I make this once every 6 weeks or so to keep up the SWMBO pipeline. I've made 5 batches since I posted the recipe. I did make two changes:

1) I found Millennium hops at Brewmasters Warehouse. 7 g Millennium, 7 g Warrior, and 4 g Summit @ 60. The rest was the same.

2) I use WLP041.

Once I've downloaded all my vacation photos, I'll post a picture.

Oh give me a break. You are censoring "opinions on the beer" because it is OT?! Wow.

That post you quoted was over 2 and a half years old, and it's HBT's motto to keep the technical discussions (like the recipe/ingredients threads) technical.....

Let's keep it that way? :mug:

If you want to critique Longhammer there are many other places to do so on the forum....

Since you're so good at this game, maybe you'll want to help me tackle great lake brewing's Lake Erie Monster sometime? :mug:

:off:
shoot - they give you pretty much everything you need off the website!

enough 2-row to get to 1.088 (try to get down to 1.018 for the 9.1%) - maybe 14 lbs?
enough 30L to get some color - maybe 0.75 lbs?

Simcoe @ 60 to get to 80 IBUs (without any software I'm guessing 1.75 oz)

Fuggle to get the flavor - 1.5oz at 15?

Wyeast1056 or WLP001 yeast...

:off:
shoot - they give you pretty much everything you need off the website!

enough 2-row to get to 1.088 (try to get down to 1.018 for the 9.1%) - maybe 14 lbs?
enough 30L to get some color - maybe 0.75 lbs?

Simcoe @ 60 to get to 80 IBUs (without any software I'm guessing 1.75 oz)

Fuggle to get the flavor - 1.5oz at 15?

Wyeast1056 or WLP001 yeast...
This.

Use 2 to 2.5 oz of Simcoe, pending the AA. I'd add the Fuggles at 5 mins or less.

If you want to use liquid yeast, I like WLP002 over WLP001. Nottingham seems a fine choice of dry yeast. If you want an American ale yeast, US-05 is the same strain as Wyeast 1056

I'm wondering the same thing (if anyone tried to brew the extract version of the longhammer IPA clone). If they did - how did it turn out? If not, how would I go about trying to brew it myself? (The extract version).

Grain Bill

8 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
3 lbs Munich Malt
10 oz Crystal 40L Malt

Hops

Other

Whirfloc @ 15 min.

Mash

Notes

How Close Is It?

Going to brew this next weekend!

Back