Red Rye Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timboosh

Reaction score
Okie doke: I've been into the idea of making a beer with Rye ever since I tried a few RyePA's relatively recently... but I'm thinking about more of a malt forward somethin' ... maybe a Red Rye Ale or a Rye Red ale??

I'm also kinda on a kick to do my own recipes more than follow others, even though I'm generally pretty new to Brewing overall. So, Any thoughts on this recipe?????? I've put some notes next to particular ingredients that I've not used to this point in my brewing. Any input on the use of those in particular is very much appreciated.

Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.035
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 19.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 14.2 SRM

Grain:
6 lb 0 oz - Pilsner Malt - 57.1% (*will this work well as a base malt for this type of beer??*)
2 lb 0 oz - US 6-Row - 19.0%
1 lb 0 oz - Rye Malt - 9.5% (*Is this too much?? I know it doesn't take much Rye to make an impression*)
0 lb 8 oz - Munich 20L - 4.8%
0 lb 6 oz - Carapils - 3.6%
0 lb 6 oz - Roasted Barley - 3.6%
0 lb 4 oz - Carmel 90 - 2.4%
0 lb 8 oz - rice hulls

1.00 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
Whirlfloc for last 10 min of boil

Mash at 144°F for 60 min
(*this seems low to me, but it's apparently what I put in my software. I've been using Beer Alchemy, but am transposing this from the BA viewer on my phone*)

Thanks in advance for any input you guys and gals may have!!! I'm looking to brew this guy up tomorrow...

My opinion:

Remove the Roast Barley and Crystal 90. If you are looking for the Rye flavor, it will be lost with these grains since they tend to be more coffee flavored

I would also replace the pils and 6 row with Maris Otter. This will give you your malt profile (along with the Munich - increase to 1lb).

I would also increase your mash temp to 150. 144 May leave you a little thin.

Hops look good

My $.02

id ditch the 6-row and roasted barley, and bump up the rye another lb. +1 to 144F being a bit low, esp since its a low OG

I just brewed a red rye ale two weeks ago, it had

2-Row ~ 60%
Carmel 40 ~7%
Carmel 120 ~3%
Rye malt ~30%

1050 OG
28 IBU
Centennial bitterering
Willamette, cent flavor
Willamette aroma

It tasted pretty good in the fermenter, I can't wait to get it on tap.

From my experience, you may want to mash a little higher than usual with 001; it will dry that beer out pretty good with a low mash temp. Maybe go 154-156.

Cheers!

Back