Red Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccann51

Reaction score
I'm interested in brewing a somewhat large hoppy rye beer. Here is my recipe for a 5 gallon batch with BIAB no-sparge:

6 lb rye malt
3 lb Pilsner
3 lb Munich
30 minute beta glucan rest (105-110F)
30 minute protein rest (120-130F)
60 minute saccharification rest (150-154F)

0.5 oz Columbus FWH
0.5 oz Chinook 20 min
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min
0.5 oz Chinook 10 min
0.5 oz Centennial 5 min
0.5 oz Cascade 0 min
1 oz Centennial dry
1 oz Columbus dry

2 oz (1/4 cup) table sugar for priming
1 packet rehydrated Safale-05
OG 1.060
IBU 69

Some questions:
1. How does the mash schedule look? I'm trying to walk the line between mashing enough to keep from getting that rye thickness, but hopefully not mashing too much and thinning out the beer to the point where it can't balance the level of hops.
2. How does the grain bill look? I'm wondering if it might be simpler to just have 6 lbs Vienna and drop the Pilsner and Munich. Would this be equivalent? Would having the Pilsner and Munich offer perceivable complexity over just the Vienna?
3. IBUs too high? If so, what additions would be the ones to drop and why?
4. Anything else I might want to change or consider?

Thanks!

On further consideration, I'm thinking perhaps trying a grain bill of 6 lbs rye, 2 lbs Pilsner, 2 lbs Vienna, and 2 lbs Munich to try and maximise complexity... unless of course anybody has a reason why this is a terrible idea.

with that much rye malt in there, you will probably over power any flavour from the Munich and Vienna. But, having said that, I think it looks damn good:mug:

Back