Red Grapefruit IPA. How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
We went to a craft brewery and they had a Grapefruit IPA. The grapefruit flavor was crazy with the hops, it was great!! How did they get the grapefruit in the beer? I doubt it went through fermentation with it in there. Any ideas?

Make a vodka tincture. Vodka+Grapefruit zest, let it sit for a day or two and add it to your fermenter (post fermentation). I dont like a ton of grapefruit flavor so I strain just the vodka off and add it straight to the keg

Make a vodka tincture. Vodka+Grapefruit zest, let it sit for a day or two and add it to your fermenter (post fermentation). I dont like a ton of grapefruit flavor so I strain just the vodka off and add it straight to the keg
Ive had great luck with this process. Super simple. Dose then taste till u get it where u like it. Do a little at time until u like it. A little goes a long way.

I picked up grapefruit when i use Falconer's Flight

I've made a grapefruit pale ale by taking the skin off the grapefruit, cutting it up into about 1/2" pieces and slowly drying them in the oven (200-250F) until they start to turn brown. I used one grapefruit peel/gallon. Toss the peel in the last 5 minutes of the boil. Columbus for bittering, plus late addition Amarillo, 30-40 minute hop stand/whirlpool after the boil ends.
It came out pretty good, but the grapefruit seemed to fade pretty fast after a few weeks. The keg didn't last long after that, so it didn't matter.
Next time I'm putting less peel and squeezing the grapefruit juice out and adding that at the end of the boil, AND will have some tincture ready to dial in the flavor at kegging.
I remember seeing frozen grapefruit concentrate at the grocery store in the past, but can't find any now, I'd like to try that as well.

I make a grapefruit / ginger lager. I juice 5-6 lbs grapefruit with a masticating juicer and throw that **** in at flameout. the beer is pretty much amazing and will change your life

Citra plus cascade hops plus a little suggestion like saying grapefruit on the label will get you there. The power of suggestion is amazing.

Comet hops and grapefruit zest tincture are good options. Using the juice or any of the actual fruit can lead to some unpleasant bitterness (especially if the sugar ferments out, though caramelizing through baking/drying may prevent this). Comet has traditionally been used for bittering, but used at flameout or as a dry hop it has quite a bit of grapefruit aroma/flavor.

I make a Grapefruit Wheat IPA using Experimental Grapefruit hops for littering, Chinook & Citra late in the boil & Mosaic for dry hopping.
At kegging time I make a "tea" with the zest from a ruby grapefruit (1 per 6 gal) by boiling 2 cups of water and letting the zest steep until cool.
I add the "tea" to the beer in the keg. Cold crash then carb.
It never lasts long on tap!

Back