Red Beaver El Hefe - Hefeweizen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamdaph

Reaction score
I just ordered this kit and it cam with out any grains. It came with 2 huge bags of Malt which don't have any label/name or measurements on them.

Is it possible that this recipe doesn't have any grains? Or maybe the grains are smashed up with the malt?

Excuse me but I'm new to this. I've done 2 Brewer's Best kits before this and they both came with grains and labeled bags/cans of malt.

Also the hops aren't labeled either. It has the boil time on it but doesn't say what kind they are. I don't like this because I'm trying to learn which malts/hops/etc... give which flavors.

Anyone have any experience with Red Beaver or know whether this recipe should contain grains?

Thanks!

Some homebrew shops keep their recipes secret, so if you like the results you'll have to go back to them. I don't like it, as you said it prevents the brewer from learning.

It isn't surprising that a Hefe wouldn't have any steeping grains. Often the only malts used are pils and wheat, and they can't be steeped.

Thanks. There is only one packet of hops and it says 45 min boil. Do I still need to do a 60 minute boil and add the hops at 45 mins or can I just do a 45 min boil?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but again I'm new at this and am learning as I go along.

Thanks again!

I'm thinking of adding 1/2 lb of 100% maple syrup to this to up the ABV some. Making a sort of Maple Weizen.

Is this a good idea or am I crazy and going to end up with a beer that's too sweet?

I'm thinking of adding 1/2 lb of 100% maple syrup to this to up the ABV some. Making a sort of Maple Weizen.

Is this a good idea or am I crazy and going to end up with a beer that's too sweet?

Maple syrup is mostly fermentable, so it will not contribute to residual sweetness. Maple and hefe wouldn’t have been my first thought, but banana and maple could be an interesting combo.

Latest posts

Back