Recommended modern urinals & flushers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
We're going to be putting a modern looking urinal and wall flush button or automatic flusher in our basement bathroom.

Our requirements:

- Modern looking, on wall.
- Wall button preferred, and then automatic sensor (don't really need automatic). I don't want a stack with a lever sticking out the top like a traditional urinal.
- Water flush, not waterless. The waterless ones gross me out.
- If it can be somewhat low water usage then that's a bonus.

Something like this (for example):

UT104V_zoom.jpg

Urinal: http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=389
Wall flusher (back wall spud): http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=528

Has anyone purchased something they can recommend? It will be professional installed as part of the basement bathroom build (from the ground up).

Thanks!

Kal

Thinking out loud here about automated flush valves like the one in the picture above (Toto model TEU2LN11).

The spec sheet is here: http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/ProductDownloads/SS-00094, TEU2LN, V.03.pdf

It says:

“Through the use of TOTO's EcoPower Flush Valves, using the valve 30 flushes per day will fully recharge the valve for up to 10 years.”

I wonder how this'll work in a residential low usage bathroom that will not see 30 flushes per day but mostly likely only 2-3 day average.

Will this still work or will the rechargeable battery be constantly drained or require more periodic replacement? I'd prefer something hard wired to house power (IMHO). But they don't seem easy to find.

Email sent the manufacturer... I'll follow up here.

Kal

So the manufacturer (Toto) got back to me. I can't use that automatic flusher for home use. There isn't isn't enough traffic (even with inviting a bunch of friends over at least once a month) to keep the battery charged. :)

I can use any other flushvalve with their urinal however, that meets the 3/4" back spud requirements.

I'm thinking a concealed wall mount manual button is fine. No need for automatic.

Something like this:

152_Sloan.large.jpg

Link: http://www.sloanvalve.com/Our_Products/Sloan_Concealed_Closet.aspx

If you need front access you throw a panel in front:

WB-1-A.med.jpg

Manuals flushers are a lot cheaper too.

Kal

Make sur you have something to look at while you go

image-720616087.jpg

Like drunk octopus wants to fight you

This is a great idea. I don't know if I could ever get away with this, unless I want to be single for the rest of my life :tank:

I'm lucky enough the lady friend enjoys my homebrew hoby and its delicious bounty. Projects like this might go too far for me...

This is a great idea. I don't know if I could ever get away with this, unless I want to be single for the rest of my life :tank:

I'm lucky enough the lady friend enjoys my homebrew hoby and its delicious bounty. Projects like this might go too far for me...
Actually the urinal was my wife's idea! She thought it was pretty neat. I'm assuming she doesn't want to use it??

Kal

It is not modern in the least bit but one of my favorite, it is in a LHBS in Cincinnati.

Urinal 1.jpg

Drunk Octopus for the win. I'm actually putting a urinal in my newly built basement bathroom as well :mug: Flooring is going in today so hopefully the toilet, urinal and sink will get installed early next week after they finish the drywall in there. We opted for a pretty standard urinal (cheapest American Standard one I could find) and a manual lever flush. We were working with an insurance budget after a basement flood and some tax return, but after upgrading from paneling to drywall and adding a half bath from scratch, I was lucky to talk the wife into the urinal at all.

Good luck with yours.

And about your wife, $5 says she'll use it at least once. My wife already admitted to herself that it'll likely happen. I mean, it's right around the corner from homebrew on tap. It's going to happen :D

I saw some really cool ones at the pacific orchid show a few years back. Hand sculpted glass, shaped like paph orchids. OTOH, I like the idea of a strawbale in a wheelbarrow. Just dump it out in the yard when it's 'full.' Plants will grow great after it finishes composting.

Bad67Z - that is awesome!
I showed it to my wife and she said, "eww, that's ugly" No accounting for taste... :drunk:

I like...
she's still not impressed
I can see there's going to be some arm wrestling come brew cave design days

I have to say that's not my style either. (Hence the thread subject "Recommended modern urinals & flushers?")
The slate tile's not bad though. Looks a lot like our front hallway. ;)

Nothing wrong with a sanke keg urinal. The idea's kinda neat, but not what I'd want in my basement. But that's just me.

Kal

Since it's the wife's idea what about a women's urinal? A few years ago I toured a dutch factory (EU... figures right?) that made them, they were supposed to be the next big thing. American standard also used to make them <1970's.

It is not modern in the least bit but one of my favorite, it is in a LHBS in Cincinnati.

View attachment 56676

I have to say that's not my style either. (Hence the thread subject "Recommended modern urinals & flushers?")
The slate tile's not bad though. Looks a lot like our front hallway. ;)

Nothing wrong with a sanke keg urinal. The idea's kinda neat, but not what I'd want in my basement. But that's just me.

Kal

I believe I included the proper "disclaimer" :D sorry Kal if I got a bit :off:.

Since it's the wife's idea what about a women's urinal? A few years ago I toured a dutch factory (EU... figures right?) that made them, they were supposed to be the next big thing. American standard also used to make them <1970's.
Interesting idea. There's actually quite a few that seem to exist that can be actually be used both by women and men.

Some examples:

medium_546951fb5b38dcc4d50d04f7459d9272.png

am2.jpg

lady%20loo%20female%20urinal.jpg

This one doesn't seem to be easy to use for either sex:

urinalforwomen-401x484.jpg

This one's called a "urinette" I think:

418161.jpg

The hole in the floor variant just seems wrong/gross but is used in various countries:

46134.jpg

Though any of the above would certainly be easier than women having to do this:

mulligan-urinal-lady-p21.jpg

Of course, there's always the toilet too.

Installing any of these would certainly get people talking! (And drinking more beer so that they could try them). ;)

Kal

So just to close the loop here, what I'm going to go with is the Toto UT104EV#01 Commercial Washout Urinal W/ Back Spud. This one here:

urinal_1.jpg

The back spud means that the water enters from the rear (instead of the top) which then allows us to install a flushometer in the wall. It'll be a Sloan® Concealed Water Closet Flushometer (model 153 or 154) like this:

152_Sloan.large.jpg

All that will show is the manual flush button, surrounded by a Sloan Easy Access Wall Box (WB-1-A) like this:

WB-1-A.med.jpg

This combinations gives us something more modern and sleek than what you see in some urinal setups. Cost is fairly reasonable too. The urinal itself is only $120-150 while the flusher and plate will be about double or triple that. A top spud manual flushometer would be a bit cheaper but I prefer the concealed look. (Personal preference).

I like the idea of a manual flushometer too over automatic because it's (a) a lot less expensive, (b) no power required, and (c) less maintenance. Going automated can easily add $400 if not more.

Automated flushers are great where you don't want to touch where 1000's of others have gone before, but we're all friends here. ;)

Can't wait! I've never been this excited about taking a leak!

Kal

<snip>

And about your wife, $5 says she'll use it at least once. My wife already admitted to herself that it'll likely happen. I mean, it's right around the corner from homebrew on tap. It's going to happen :D

Yeah.....I guess I never thought if it was actually possible for SWMBO to use one of those things, but I saw a picture on the Internet once, and unless it's 'shopped.....they can. (Strange, but yeah, and it almost immediately produced the thought "Well, if they CAN, then why....but decided, not goin' there.)

I hate to a debby downer but I no longer understand the want of a urinal in the home. I also don't understand the want of a full bar in the home but that is mostly cause my main job is as a bartender. A bar used regularly gets gross pretty fast. A bar used infrequently gets gross even faster. Urinals smell and although they use less water are just odd for the home IMHO. Of course there is the awesome factor, same with bar, but when that wears out you are left with something that is not necessarily clean, smells, and was only cool at first.

I would love a bar at my house with all the fixin's and a urinal, but after working in the industry I have seriously changed my mind about what level of "bar" I would like. To really understand this you need to go look at something like a banquet bar that is only in operation 1/4 of the year. Having worked behind one for a while I can tell you that they are generally disgusting. They're sanitary but nothing like a full use bar used every night and cleaned thoroughly between shifts.

Hole in the floor is hilarious though. My wife and I hung a painting of a princess with the eyes that follow you behind the main toilet in our house just to **** with people as they are trying to pee. We call it, "She who watches you pee."

A bar used regularly gets gross pretty fast. A bar used infrequently gets gross even faster.
I don't understand this.

I had a full wrap arround granite bar at my last house with a sink, 4 beer taps, and a fridge. A beer was usually poured every day but not always. It didn't get dirty when not used. Lived in that house for 11 years.

I found that the bar surface needed a dusting/wipe every once and while when I was cleaning the house but no more than, say, a kitchen counter. It's just another surface that can collect dust. In fact when I was using the bar more often I'd typically give it a wipe down so it would stay clean. If we left for a couple of weeks then it would get dusty. So it stayed cleaner when used.

Why does an unused home bar get 'gross'? It didn't get 'gross' any more than your kitchen gets 'gross' if it's not used. I'm not understanding something.

Urinals smell and although they use less water are just odd for the home IMHO.
Why would a urinal smell any more than a toilet? If the flushometer is sized correctly for the urinal, it will give it a good flush and keep it clean, just like a toilet. Just like a toilet, however, you have to clean it with a brush once and a while.

The waterless ones (IMHO) are smelly/gross. That much I'll agree too.

Many bars/restaurants have gross urinals but that's because they get massive traffic and don't clean them enough and the patrons just don't care. If the urinals are gross the toilets are always typically gross too.

To really understand this you need to go look at something like a banquet bar that is only in operation 1/4 of the year. Having worked behind one for a while I can tell you that they are generally disgusting. They're sanitary but nothing like a full use bar used every night and cleaned thoroughly between shifts.
Comparing a commercial bar that pours possibly 1000's of drinks 1/4 of the time of the year to home bar doesn't make any sense.

If that commercial bar isn't cleaned correctly then yes, it's gross.

If you prepare a big dinner for guests at home and don't clean your kitchen properly after then it'll be gross too.

Kal

Sorry I was a little tipsy last night and frustrated after closing down the bar I work at. Gross really isn't the word I was looking for. Neglect is what I was looking for. A kitchen is pretty easy to keep clean with a short wipe down because it is in constant use. The more neglect the more time it begins taking to clean. So it kind of depends on your personality and how often you are using the bar. The nature of novelty items is that the novelty wears off and they eventually become neglected.

I still love looking at home bar builds though because they are awesome. Would love to have a basement bar/poker room.

That's a pretty nice looking urinal. Well, about as nice looking as it can be. Mr. Z wanted one, but that was firmly nixed, because I just know that he'd never clean around it. I'm picturing tipsy fellas letting loose and wobbling around. We have plenty of trees outside, anyway :)

Mr. Z wanted one, but that was firmly nixed, because I just know that he'd never clean around it. I'm picturing tipsy fellas letting loose and wobbling around.
Using a tree's definitely the best way to ensure that there's no mess to clean up. ;)

For inside use I'm hoping it's less of a mess to clean than a toilet. My take is that if a guy's letting loose and wobbling around they're more likely to make a mess aiming a toilet that's down lower (farther away) than a urinal up higher. Especially true if they don't bother lifting up the seat.

I guess time will tell!

Kal

That's a pretty nice looking urinal. Well, about as nice looking as it can be. Mr. Z wanted one, but that was firmly nixed, because I just know that he'd never clean around it. I'm picturing tipsy fellas letting loose and wobbling around. We have plenty of trees outside, anyway :)

You are a wise lady; your understanding of the male of the species is indeed profound.

To close the loop, here's the urinal installed... in all it's glory. It gets a lot of use!

KalBasement8_1280.jpg

Photos copyright (c) doublespace photography and may not be reproduced or reused without their consent.

Kal

Nice looking head! I have wanted a urinal in my house since we built it, I tried to get the builder to put one in but they didnt offer them so it was off the table. I have been scheming on putting one in but I think I am going to wait till we get a new place.

Get one with a Pee Bee in it. Studies show most guys aim for it and consequently there is much less splashing and mess.

image-933504535.jpg

image-1395959245.jpg

Back