Recommendations on kolsch fermentation schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
What do you guy usually use for a kolsch fermentation schedule. I do have a chest freezer converted to kegerator so I can get it down to whatever I want. using a kolsch style ale yeast. Thanks

What do you guy usually use for a kolsch fermentation schedule. I do have a chest freezer converted to kegerator so I can get it down to whatever I want. using a kolsch style ale yeast. Thanks
Hi. Usually, I'll ferment a Kölsch at 60°F for about six days, then ramp up to about 68°F for 2-3 days to finish, then ramp down to 36°F to condition and crash for for 4-6 days before kegging. Since I do most of my brewing/kegging on weekends, I try to adjust my schedule to keg on a weekend. I use Imperial Yeast G03 Dieter, and it works fine for me. Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

Hi. Usually, I'll ferment a Kölsch at 60°F for about six days, then ramp up to about 68°F for 2-3 days to finish, then ramp down to 36°F to condition and crash for for 4-6 days before kegging. Since I do most of my brewing/kegging on weekends, I try to adjust my schedule to keg on a weekend. I use Imperial Yeast G03 Dieter, and it works fine for me. Hope this helps. Ed

G03 is from 029, and that is what I use for 029. Pitch at 60, after 2 days I free rise to 68.
My favorite is Giga 021. Not sure where it comes from. Kind of between 029 and 2565. I pitch it at 62 and let it slowly rise to 66, then I raise it to 70. I keg it on day 7 or 8 after crashing to 32. I fine with Biofine. I think I brew Kolsch more than any other style. Can't say I dislike any of the liquid Kolsch yeasts either.

Whitelabs itself states that the WLP029 Kolsch yeast does not ferment well under 17 Celsius that is 62F except during peak fermentation. Like other have said, I like to start a little low and let it raise one or two degrees.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp029-german-ale-k-lsch-yeast

What yeast are you using? Will you be filtering?

I have made a kolsch that turned out great. I kept it around 59F for primary and then I lagered it for a month or two as I have no means of filtration and I wanted the yeast to settle.

Exactly what I do with my Kölsch! Even the changing the schedule to make sure I keg on the weekend!

The kolsch I am using is from "inland island" inis-572... its a local company in Denver, 1st time using em. I have never raised the temp of fermentation after a few days, is this technique specific to kolsch yeast? Also I do plan to secondary and eventually lager for a while, just looking for feedback on timing as I am new to the kolsch processView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1501027839.835199.jpg

Those specs look a lot like 2565 which is the one I like. I pitch between 55 and 59,hold at 59 for 3 days raise to 64 for 3 days then finish at 68 or so. Very clean and not so fruity from the start. I like it better with a 2-3 week lager as cold as possible but sometimes i can't do that and it sits at ambient and is not as crisp until a week or so in the kegerator.

I brew this more as a lager, typically... still using WLP029. For my last batch, that means increasing pitching rates a little bit and I've primary fermented at 58F for about 2 weeks, followed by a d-rest at 68F for 3 days. Normally for fermentation I'll let it rise a little bit after the first few days but for some reason I didn't do that last time. Fermentation still went great. I always lager this style for about a month as well.

The kolsch I am using is from "inland island" inis-572... its a local company in Denver, 1st time using em. I have never raised the temp of fermentation after a few days, is this technique specific to kolsch yeast? Also I do plan to secondary and eventually lager for a while, just looking for feedback on timing as I am new to the kolsch processView attachment 408642
Hi. No, it's not just for a Kölsch style beer. Fermenting for a period of time, then raising to a d-rest/finish is a practice used by a lot of folks. By fermenting cool, you avoid many of the "off" flavors produced during the first few days at a higher temperature. By ramping/raising the temp after the initial fermentation (3-10 days,) you give the yeast a chance to clean up. If you look at the specs of your yeast, 59°-60°F falls smack-dab in the middle of it's recommended ferm temps. The key to a good Kölsch, IMO, is the lagering period after fermentation to let the beer clear and mellow, the colder the better. Hey, it's a Kölsch, and as long as you keep things cool, you will have a really nice beer. Ed

Resurrecting this thread. Trying Dieter yeast for the first time. Brewed last night and had trouble getting to pitching temps. I pitched at 75, and set my temp control to 60. Problem is I have 2 fermenters and only one is temp controlled. Can I expect crazy off flavors from the fermenter that's not temp controlled?

Back