Recomadations for a new HLT/Mash set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boar Beer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to up grade my HLT and Mash system
My current system is the double cooler type with a ss 15 gallon HLT
We brew in a 20 gallon Blichmann all on propane

I would like to go to Electric for the HLT and Mash set up.
We have a 15 gallon conical so we will be brewing decent sized batches.

I have been looking at a High Gravity system
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=269
I can afford the 1000 dollars
The other company I have looked at is brewmatic.com

Does anyone have any experience with either of these systems or companies?
Or maybe a different recommendation?

just lloking at the High Gravity, I think you could build a MUCH nicer setup for ALOT less. Just my Opinion. Also depends on your DIY level and time. It's nice to just buy stuff sometimes and have it all shipped ready to use too!

Minor point: High Gravity is the name of the store (nice people there, too!)... The system you're looking at is made by - or at least mostly made by - MiniBrew out of California. Googling for MiniBrew should turn up their page, i think it's just minibrew.com

Note that for a thousand bucks, you're getting the whole pump-and-barrel rig, with copper heat-exchanger, quick disco's, all the works. I agree that that's not quite what you're looking for, as you have most of a system and are just looking to upgrade components.

I am fighting the same desire right now, I don't use a HLT, so I have to move lots of buckets of water around. The Keggle is too heavy to lift, too..

---------

I would suggest getting a large-size cooler for both mash-tun and HLT. Look for a 100+qt Coleman or other. Something like this:
outdoor-cooler_M-6986.jpg

a 150qt model holds over 37 gallons... that translates to 90 lbs grain at 1.25 qt/lb. Which means that your 15 gal batch could have the equivalent of 30 lbs of grain for each 5 gallons. That's on par with about 1.150 gravity. A 100qt model might fit your needs too.

Then do a simple bulkhead + copper manifold for the MLT. Bulkhead, valve, and o-rings can be had for about 10-15 bucks, and then the cost of the copper for the manifold will vary with design and local prices. These of course are assuming in-US prices. You didn't mention much about your situation (coming back stateside? looking for shipped? etc)

For the HLT, it's a little more difficult... I would cut two holes in the side of the 2nd cooler (less than 100qt for this one?) and mount two 120v heater elements. I've not done my electric HLT yet but there's a lot out there already in terms of how to attach and control the elements. If you could find an "Ice Cube" cooler, they might be preferable since they are taller, and not the typical shallow rectangle cooler. You could do a single 240v element in an Ice Cube cooler much more easily. Would require a 240v element though.

-------

http://www.brewmation.com/HLT.html sells a VERY attractive unit for a good price. I really kind of want to buy this one, myself, as it includes a Love temp controller. Very nicely made.
DSC00551-311x366.jpg

-------

Probably overkill, but http://www.dmebrewing.ca/cat_equiplist.asp?cattype=1 <- this place sells pro-level brewing equipment, they have tanks in the 5-10bbl range though. You wouldn't have to go straight to a 30bbl system. Again. I know it's more than you need. But it could be a handy source to talk to, who knows.

-------

Finally, if you go back to the High Gravity Brew page, and instead of choosing the HLT/MLT system, pick the boil kettle. Select the following options:

Build Your Own Brew Kettle (BYOBK)

Vessel Modification: Drill Hole for 1/2 in. Ball-Valve$20.00
Brewpot Hardware: BrewMometer 3" Dia. Weldless Thermometer $33.00
Vessel Modification: Drill hole for Brewmometer Weldless type $20.00
Brewpots: Stockpot - 82 Qt. Stainless Steel $174.95
Vessel Modification: Drill Hole for 1 in. Heating Element $25.00
Brewpot Hardware: Weld-B-Gone Deluxe + $59.95
Brewpot Hardware: Heating Element - 5500W Installed w/ Weldless kit $74.95
Product Subtotal: $407.85

Voila, 82qt Hot Liquor Tank with valves and element pre-installed for under $500. Then just buy a cooler and do manifold+valve for your MLT. There's really no sense in buying a pre-made MLT when it can be assembled in 30 minutes with components from any plumbing supply store.

G'luck with your search! :D

I would suggest getting a large-size cooler for both mash-tun and HLT. Look for a 100+qt Coleman or other. Something like this:
bigcooler.jpg
Do you suggest removing dead pigs from your mash tun before mashing in? Does 2-row have enough diastatic power to convert a whole pig? I saw the OP's name was Boar Beer, but I didn't think that was serious! :cross:

Seriously -- nice post (except the pig).

LOL, well put ;)

I guess this takes "Bacon beer" to a whole new level????? :fro:

I thought about leaving that pic out, but I think it's important to really get the scale of how massive of a cooler one can procure. According to Eddie's site, that one is 320qt's. Talk about a Big Beer. :D

If it helps make up for the cooler, here's one of Eddie's roasters in action.
meat.jpg

Mmmmmm. Meat.

Chirso and FlyGuy

Thanks for your comments. The HLT from minibrew would be a good start
I have plenty of room for a big cooler like the big cooler 100 + QT which would be simple enough to set up I can build the manifold and get that setup.

Ha Chriso
You run into any Newfie's up there. those guys can suck the beer down.

again thanks for the help

If it were my dollars, I'd go the route of the Brewmation tank, I think. Square for nice space utilization, and it comes with a temp controller. :)

I've met a few Newfies! I think all Canadians drink equally well though. Wisconsinites, too, they drink like a fish with a booze problem.

Edit: Forgot - Here's the link to JUST the MiniHot without the rest of the package : http://highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=158&idproduct=1608

:) Cheers!

Back